Some feature requests for Zenbeats

Roland's music creation app
nonchai

Some feature requests for Zenbeats

Post by nonchai »

Some feature requests for ZenBeats 3.0 ( or less ):

1 ) add ability to change precount eg from 1 bar to 2 bars etc.

2 ) a mode where the volume faders can be much taller - they currently are too short for detailed control.

3 ) a much better thought out preset category chooser GUI. a scrolling list mode is sub-optimal. Better to present a rectangular grid of categories where ALL categories (lead/pad/keys etc ) can be seen in as single view.

4 ) the MIDI event editor GUI needs optimising. For example ( unless its buried in the 'Rtf-m" and I missed it ) having to hold-press and then pick an option in order to multi-select events isnt ideal. At the minimum - give us the options as a tool-bar so switching between modes can be a single click. And/or add an option whereby as a long-press automatically puts the editor into multi-delect mode. I suggest to the developers and product manager that you survey ALL the DAW and MIDI event type iOS apps out there and figure out which have the best implementation of a touch based piano roll MIDI-event editing.

5) Left panel "Channel strip" : hiding a bunch of common actions behind the clock-cog "settings" icon is poor GUI. Stuff such as delete/rename/cut/copy/duplicate. are NOT track "settings" but track "ACTIONS" and thus should not be hidden underneath an icon more commonly associated with "preferences and settings:.

6) ZENCORE. This is clearly the future for this app and Roland. So give us users ( new to Zenbeats ) the option of hiding all the old pre ZC1 instruments - that came with Zenbeats 1 - from view - where Zencore presets are the default - and the only other instrument option is 3rd pty AUv3 instruments and effects .

7 ) Give us an option to HIDE all the rarely used Apple AUv3 instruments.,

8) give us the option to hide from plugin-picker list. certain AU v3 plugins we are unlikely to want to use inside Zenbeats. In essence -the less choices and scrolling we users have to do the better.

9 ) For both ZenBeats and Fantom - support exporting in OMF (Open Media Framework) format as well as in Ableton format. This will make it much more useful for those who want to use ZB as a sketchbook for ideas but then develop a song into something requiring a full DAW.
nonchai

Re: Some feature requests for Zenbeats

Post by nonchai »

on midi editing and the piano roll - one Zenbeats owner on the iPad Musicians Facebook group shared this:

[name withheld] :-

"I really liked Zenbeats until I got into some very complicated midi note programing. The piano roll is abysmal. I cannot tell where I am in the song. The measures are not well laid out at all. The worst thing was trying to copy and paste midi note parts. Say you want to copy and paste a few measures. Theres no way to accurately paste the copied notes into the piano roll. Even worse, there is no way to move all selected notes around piano roll, so if you get lucky and paste them close to where they need to be, you still cannot move the high lighted group into place."
Dantecooper

Post by Dantecooper »

1. Mono polyphony in sample verse so 808s can be played without clashing!!!!

2. Group tracks and the ability to group, group tracks to make a sub mix track.

3. Color palette for better colors....

4. A professional looking Theme.

5. Bounce midi to audio
Dante’

Post by Dante’ »

1. Group Tracks
2. Side Chain
3. The ability to export to AudioShare also.

Bounce to audio would be a nice add but isn’t necessary.
fan17

Post by fan17 »

A tab for hardware access and choose the good sound in the zenology pro plugin.
NormalHuman

Post by NormalHuman »

Love the Drum machine on Zenbeats, I use a custom drum collection but it would be cool if Zenbeats had a Drum synthesizer, FM or similar like Fractal Bits.
Other than that optimisation for android multi core would make the ZC1 a really nice usable instrument and not the stuttering Glitchy thing it currently is on a fairly new Samsung A52s, this is with one instance and buffer size set to max, yes I know you can freeze tracks, and why does turning off multicore improve things, that doesn't really make sense.
Frequalizer

Post by Frequalizer »

16-step midi CC automation value control with on off toggling per step. Preset and preset banks savings and a array of different randomization options around it all. Randomize all step or steps, randomized selected steps, randomize inverse of selected steps. Randomize among all presets. Randomize within banks of presets.

Essentially make midi CC automation a 16-step live performance a creative experimental tool, but also definable or partially definable one. Happen upon something you like as a 16-step automation effect save it. Think of something you'd like as a 16-step step CC automation effect create it. Want a bit of variety randomize for spontaneous creative fun or hand adjust it to taste if you want something more rigid and hand defined.

I've put a bit of thought into this idea and Zenbeats would be perfect for it being software and touch based. It's a little bit like a preset mashup tool for live rhythmic changes and at the same time you could organize and also you could add variety and spontaneous changes in real time to whatever preset or presets you've got and if you like a change you can save it as well.

You could even define how it randomizes the value amounts as well by making the value ranges adjustable to be more narrow or more broad like the Q control for a parametric EQ. It's a new way to automate on the fly within a 16-step groove. Some of it could be done in various hardware if you wanted to get creative, but really only touch based software could do it quite in the depth I mention as intuitively. The possibilities are really completely endless.

You could think of it like a easy to understand tracker within a 16-step easy to grasp structure with a truckload of live on the fly manipulation options and you could even chain presets within a bank in order sequencing them. In fact you could assign on/off mute toggle triggers across 16 pads, steps, or keys and with velocity pads and I suppose keys as well it would be a nice way to randomize or change the value amounts quickly and easy assigned to each step. The perfect tool to add a lot of on the fly variation.
Gildabass

Post by Gildabass »

Posted a topic for a workaround, and still looking for a better solution, but an essential (to me) and easy to implement feature is midi Key range per track, to be able to play multi-track in split (and/or layers)