Problem with Zenbeats MIDI input via Steinberg UR22 Mk II

Roland's music creation app
pyholly

Problem with Zenbeats MIDI input via Steinberg UR22 Mk II

Post by pyholly »

Hi all,

This is my first post but I have tried searching for any previous issues on this:

I am using a Carlsbro CSD 200 e-drum kit > MIDI out via 5pin cable > 5pin input of Steinberg UR22 Mk II interface. This configuration works perfectly for everything else e.g. a DAW or standalone drum software (BFD3).

But with Zenbeats, when I hit a drum pad, I just get one note produced, then it won't play again for that pad. I might get one note out of another pad, but that will again go silent. So my settings in Zenbeats appear to be OK as I'm getting a MIDI input and getting audio.

This happens whether I connect into Zenbeats for Windows on a PC or via the Android app. I don't get this problem if I use the direct USB output from my drum module into my PC, but this defeats the object, as I want to use the Steinberg interface and that is my only option on my Andropid tablet (only 1 x USB port)

All things considered, I think Zenbeats doesn't like the MIDI signal from the Steinberg interface but why would that be and has anyone else had thisissue?

More to the point, does anyone know how I can fix it?
Attachments
MIDI settings.jpg
MIDI settings.jpg (135.35 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
Audio Settings.jpg
Audio Settings.jpg (165.8 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
EdGe

Re: Problem with Zenbeats MIDI input via Steinberg UR22 Mk II

Post by EdGe »

pyholly wrote: 01:32, 27 November 2021 [snip]when I hit a drum pad, I just get one note produced, then it won't play again for that pad. I might get one note out of another pad, but that will again go silent. So my settings in Zenbeats appear to be OK as I'm getting a MIDI input and getting audio.[snip]
More to the point, does anyone know how I can fix it?
I wonder if this is because your drum controller only sends "midi on" events, and no "midi off" events, and ZB can't resolve that? I believe some controllers only offer "on" events. The DAW, Zenbeats in this case, would have to ignore the lacking "off" event and process the next "on" event.

In fact, I just looked up the manual. Page 24 MIDI Spec: Velocity - Note Off - not transmitted.

http://carlsbro.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 80-200.pdf

I assume this is a Zenbeats issue since then, as you state, other DAWs you use can manage this.

Another possible issue: if you have the MIDI In/Out connected from the UR22 to the In/Out of the Carlsbro, you may be creating a midi loop. Try recording without connecting the IN at the Carlsbro, and then disconnect the Out on the Carlsbro (but reconnect the In so Zenbeats can drive it) upon playback. Make sense? Worth a shot.
pyholly

Re: Problem with Zenbeats MIDI input via Steinberg UR22 Mk II

Post by pyholly »

Many thanks for the info, this is most helpful. It's a shame as Zenbeats has a great bank of e-drum presets but I guess I need to raise it with Roland.

I am only using an 'out' from my drum module to an 'in' on the UR22 anyway (no return connection).

Thank you for your help.

Pete.