the pedal dp-10 does not work in countinous mode when I change scenes quickly

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
MFrost

the pedal dp-10 does not work in countinous mode when I change scenes quickly

Post by MFrost »

Hello
i have problem with my Fantom 07. I using pedal DP-10 in countinues mode also in intrument I set Continous Hold Pedal ON. When I am changing scenes very quicly eg using DIAG wheel, the pedal stops working. When i am changing scenes slow everything is ok. Could you check how it is with you?
xp30

Re: the pedal dp-10 does not work in countinous mode when I change scenes quickly

Post by xp30 »

I have made a similar experience on my FA-07 and on my Fantom-7, and in both cases, I am fairly sure it only happened when the DP-10 produced a value larger than 0 after releasing the pedal.

I can actually reproduce the problem this way: I put a few layers of paper into the pedal, so that the pedal will no longer go all the way up after releasing it. As you described, after switching between a few scenes, the hold pedal stops working, and the Fantom no longer sends MIDI CC events for pressing and releasing the pedal. In this situation, if I remove the paper from the pedal, the Fantom sends the 0 value, and the pedal starts working again (without making any other changes).

Maybe your DP-10 has this issue, that it is not going back to 0 when releasing it. You can check it by connecting a MIDI monitor to the Fantom.

My solution: Turn off continuous hold pedal, both on the Fantom and on the pedal, because I don't really need it, and turning it off avoids a lot of problems. The problem is that even if you do not have the problem right now, it might start happening at the most inconvenient time during a life performance.

I actually like the DP-10. I have 5 of them, and I use them in continuous mode as expression pedals. For this use case, it does not really matter if they are going back to 0 or not. However, when I notice the issue, I open them and bend the spring a bit, so that the pedal will return to 0 again.
MFrost

Re: the pedal dp-10 does not work in countinous mode when I change scenes quickly

Post by MFrost »

Thank you for your response. My DP-10 is good. Anyway, I tested a few DP-10. There is a fault all the time. I have already reported this issue to my Roland office in the country. It turned out to be a firmware problem. Roland's service technicians reported it to the engineers to make a new firmware.
MFrost

Post by MFrost »

Another thing is that the sustain pedals DP10 are not perfectly made. During midi tests, it does not always get the maximum value of 127 (only e.g. 110) and after releasing the pedal 0 (only e.g 10). I tested few DP-10. The same problem. Check this in MIDI OX app.