External instrument

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
Keith Bowie

External instrument

Post by Keith Bowie »

Hi hope someone can answer this for me
Is it possible to plug a Yamaha Motif ES rack module directly into the fantom vie the external instrument port an control it as an external instrument,
I can get the motif to work if I use the midi din connectors but not the external instrument.
I’ve changed the motif midi in to usb but still won’t work.
Can it be done?

Any advice would be welcomed
Thanks

Keith
anotherscott2022

Re: External instrument

Post by anotherscott2022 »

Use the 5-pin connectors, that's the best choice. If there is some reason you really want to use USB, you'd need to add a host device between the two keyboards. But it's rare that there's a reason to use USB for this, since the 5-pin MIDI connections are more rugged, less susceptible to noise, capable of running longer distances, and more universally compatible.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

Keith Bowie wrote: 23:20, 24 August 2022 Is it possible to plug a Yamaha Motif ES rack module directly into the fantom vie the external instrument port an control it as an external instrument,
The documentation for the USB Ext Device port seems to be very vague. In the manual, the only information that I found was "Connect this to an external USB device." I tried to understand what I can do with the 3 ext device ports on my Fantom 7, and I guess the one port on the Fantom-0 series is similar. From my experience:
  • The Fantom is sensitive to what you connect to these ports. For example, it immediately crashes when I connect my Arturia MiniLab MK2.
  • The Fantom does not seem to send any MIDI events on this port, and it does not even respond to a SysEx identity request.
  • The Fantom receives on this port and reacts to it similar to MIDI messages received via the USB-to-host port and the DIN port.
  • I was able to send MIDI messages to the Fantom (via the USB ext device port) from two different Android phones and from a Raspberry Pi Pico, without crashing the Fantom.
Based on that, I don't think it is possible to use an external sound module via the USB ext device ports.
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

xp30 wrote: 08:16, 25 August 2022 The documentation for the USB Ext Device port seems to be very vague. In the manual, the only information that I found was "Connect this to an external USB device." I tried to understand what I can do with the 3 ext device ports on my Fantom 7, and I guess the one port on the Fantom-0 series is similar. From my experience:
  • The Fantom is sensitive to what you connect to these ports. For example, it immediately crashes when I connect my Arturia MiniLab MK2.
  • The Fantom does not seem to send any MIDI events on this port, and it does not even respond to a SysEx identity request.
  • The Fantom receives on this port and reacts to it similar to MIDI messages received via the USB-to-host port and the DIN port.
  • I was able to send MIDI messages to the Fantom (via the USB ext device port) from two different Android phones and from a Raspberry Pi Pico, without crashing the Fantom.
Based on that, I don't think it is possible to use an external sound module via the USB ext device ports.
Also see this:

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Connector
Keith Bowie

Post by Keith Bowie »

Guys many thanks that’s great info.
I’ve managed to get it to work fine with the 5 pin din connector so I’m happy with that.
Thanks again
Vincz

Post by Vincz »

Hi,
I,ve tried to connect Arturia Microfreak and, I can control it only via midi din out.

I also tried to connect my Roli Seabord Block on usb external device port with MPE configuration.
Creating a scene with same sound on each channel, I can play.
Bend isn't working natively.
Need to do some more tries but that seems interresting