Fantom O and Boss FS-1-WL wireless pedal

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
Keith Bowie

Fantom O and Boss FS-1-WL wireless pedal

Post by Keith Bowie »

Hello there
Hope someone can give me some advice or guidance.
I’ve purchased a Boss FS-1-WL footswitch.
What I wanted to use it for is to have the foot switch assigned to increment and decrement.
That means I can switch up and down through the chain of patches I have set.
The problem I have is that the increment decrement don’t seem to have a CC allocation?
Anybody got any ideas for a workaround.
Thanks
xp30

Re: Fantom O and Boss FS-1-WL wireless pedal

Post by xp30 »

How do you connect the Boss FS-1-WL to the Fantom-0? I am wondering if it would be simpler to just use two regular pedals (or a dual pedal, like the Boss FS-6/FS-7), which can be configured to do Inc/Dec.
Keith Bowie

Post by Keith Bowie »

Xp30
I connect to the pedal by WiDi jack Bluetooth midi.
I have an FS6 pedal!
But I need the expression pedal and I need sustain pedal.
That leaves me with only 1 pedal port.
Can I do incline / decline from the single port on the FS6 or do I need 1 for incline and 1 for decline?
xp30

Post by xp30 »

Keith Bowie wrote: 21:44, 18 February 2023 I connect to the pedal by WiDi jack Bluetooth midi.
I have an FS6 pedal!
But I need the expression pedal and I need sustain pedal.
That leaves me with only 1 pedal port.
Can I do incline / decline from the single port on the FS6 or do I need 1 for incline and 1 for decline?
The Fantom does not support dual switch pedals on a single port (in contrast to other keyboards, like the Nord Stage 3).

First idea: Use the physical input jacks for Sustain, Expression and Increment. Use the buttons on the Fantom for Decrement. This is based on the assumption that you need Increment way more often than Decrement.

Second idea: Route the expression pedal through the Boss FS-1-WL and CME WIDI Jack, since expression is a Midi CC message, and use the physical input jacks for Sustain, Increment and Decrement.

Are you using this setup live? There are other ways to connect additional pedals to the Fantom, without having to rely on bluetooth. For example, the beat bars FS2M, EX2M and E&F2M are jack to USB-MIDI adapters, and you should be able to connect them to the EXT DEVICE port on the Fantom. I have no experience with these products, however, I have built my own, which works fine with the Fantom, and costs only a fraction if you can use a soldering iron (see viewtopic.php?p=339788#p339788).
Keith Bowie

Post by Keith Bowie »

Xp30
Thanks for the advice.
Yes it is for live use. I want to have minimal gear hence I thought the Boss FS-1 would be a weight and gear reduction.
I currently sustain , expression and increment.
I would be interested in your diy option.
What’s involved in building that?
Could I use the beatbar jack / usb adaptor into the external usb and set it as sustain then that would free up another jack for decrement?
Many thanks again for the helpful advice
xp30

Post by xp30 »

Keith Bowie wrote: 14:33, 19 February 2023 I would be interested in your diy option.
What’s involved in building that?
My DIY solution consists of a Raspberry Pi Pico (~5 EUR), 2 TS jack sockets, a plastic case, and a few wires. I have not used any resistors, although I wonder if I should. I have programmed it with 50 lines of MicroPython code, which is just copied onto the device (no build or deployment process). It allows me to do things that I can not do with off-the-shelve solutions, e.g. sending MIDI SysEx messages.
Keith Bowie wrote: 14:33, 19 February 2023 Could I use the beatbar jack / usb adaptor into the external usb and set it as sustain then that would free up another jack for decrement?
The sustain/hold pedal input can only be used for sustain/hold, so you would not gain anything by routing the sustain pedal through the EXT DEVICE USB input.