Best piano for Fantom-0 ?

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
TheSuperNova

Re: Best piano for Fantom-0 ?

Post by TheSuperNova »

You can try the "Ultimate Grand" from the Stage Painon2 expansion, it's old (comes from the Fantom-X), but I've played around with it a bit and it sounds quite decent.

I'd assume you'd have to cut and boost some frequencies in order for it sit well in the mix. I wish Roland could improve the pianos, but like USB class complaince, that's wishful thinking, an iPad/iPhone would correct the weakness almost immediately.
Dany77

Post by Dany77 »

I am new to the Fantom (got my 07 two weeks ago) and I really like it, but in terms of acoustic piano sounds I was disappointed. Tried SN Pianos (1 and 2) as well as expansions but could not find anything that makes me happy. EQ helps a lot but still not what I was looking for. To my ears, my almost 12 years old RD-700NX sounds better (SN acoustic pianos), glad I kept it and bought the Fantom as an addition, it has some great features though.
Zivanovitch

Post by Zivanovitch »

After 2 weeks with my new Fantom-07 baby, I'm still lost about what are the best piano options.
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

I don't use my Fantom-07 for piano, I don't think any of them sound great. But also, part of it may be that that action is just not well-suited for piano playing, and I've wondered if those exact same sounds might suddenly seem better if you were playing them on a Fantom-08 (or triggering the ones in the Fantom-07 from an external hammer action keyboard). I don't think they'd ever seem great, but they might at least seem better.

If I were stuck trying to play piano on the Fantom-07, the first thing I'd try is to MIDI it up to some other good quality piano source (say, the Ravenscroft 275 app on an iPhone/iPad).
wilcossb@hotmail.com

Post by wilcossb@hotmail.com »

I don't own a Fantom-O yet but what is the real consensus with this unsatisfactory SN piano ?
Does it carry the same type of quality as the previous Roland Fa series ? should be an evolution I presume ?
I know a couple of previous complaints among many on the FA where the short decaying of the piano or it being sounding too thin.
Do you guys think its the same with the Fantom-O or a different situation ?
One thing I gave credit to the previous Keyboard was the fact that the SN Piano had a bit of customizations such as string resonance, Key off, tone character, etc...
Well (minus V-piano engine) with this new board there is only a stereo width parameter to contend with.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

wilcossb@hotmail.com wrote: 16:51, 27 February 2023 I don't own a Fantom-O yet but what is the real consensus with this unsatisfactory SN piano ?
Does it carry the same type of quality as the previous Roland Fa series ? should be an evolution I presume ?
The SN acoustic pianos on the Fantom-06 have fewer features than on the FA-06. For example, the FA-06 had a Sympathetic Resonance IFX and string resonance, and these features do not exist on the Fantom-06. See also the discussion in viewtopic.php?p=340972#p340972.

The first set of SN AP tones are not an improvement over the previous generation. A second set of SN AP were released for the Fantom-06, and they add a bit of variation.

The way I see it: Roland ported the SN AP onto the new platform (Z-Core), and some of the features were dropped during this process. Technically, the SN AP tones are mostly a thin UI layer on top of Z-Core tones. There might have been some magic sauce in the past (for example for string resonance), however, on the Fantom-06, the SN-AP tones have been reduced to the Z-Core functionality.
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

xp30 wrote: 19:52, 27 February 2023 The way I see it: Roland ported the SN AP onto the new platform (Z-Core), and some of the features were dropped during this process. Technically, the SN AP tones are mostly a thin UI layer on top of Z-Core tones. There might have been some magic sauce in the past (for example for string resonance), however, on the Fantom-06, the SN-AP tones have been reduced to the Z-Core functionality.
They should still have the SN benefits of undetectable velocity layer shifts or looping.