How do you play scene layered sounds when in USB audio mode?

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
acpittpro

How do you play scene layered sounds when in USB audio mode?

Post by acpittpro »

I can only play individual parts of a scene, but not the entire layered sound. If I'm on a scene, I have to deselect the zones on the left to even get MIDI into my DAW. Then I can play one part at a time, depending on which channel I select in the DAW. Is there a way to play an entire layered sound/scene and get that into the daw through USB audio?

Also, on another note, does anyone get occasional crackling through USB audio? I get them every 5-10 minutes for like 5-10 seconds each time.
EdGe

Re: How do you play scene layered sounds when in USB audio mode?

Post by EdGe »

acpittpro wrote: 01:46, 22 April 2022 I can only play individual parts of a scene, but not the entire layered sound. If I'm on a scene, I have to deselect the zones on the left to even get MIDI into my DAW. Then I can play one part at a time, depending on which channel I select in the DAW. Is there a way to play an entire layered sound/scene and get that into the daw through USB audio?

Also, on another note, does anyone get occasional crackling through USB audio? I get them every 5-10 minutes for like 5-10 seconds each time.
I've wondered the same (Fantom-6) - it's the same for the big brothers, as well.

It would be a nice feature add to be able to mix zones to usb channel pairs.
TheSuperNova

Post by TheSuperNova »

I'm borrowing knowledge from my FA, it might be the same or different or possibly not available.

With Roland boards usually there's a MIDI channel that addresses the Studio Set/Scene, I think by default it is channel 16. Perhaps try using that midi channel in your DAW and see if you get anything. Otherwise this would be a pretty good suggestion for the next firmware update.
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

TheSuperNova wrote: 22:35, 23 April 2022 I'm borrowing knowledge from my FA, it might be the same or different or possibly not available.

With Roland boards usually there's a MIDI channel that addresses the Studio Set/Scene, I think by default it is channel 16. Perhaps try using that midi channel in your DAW and see if you get anything. Otherwise this would be a pretty good suggestion for the next firmware update.
There is a dedicated channel 16 in the menu, and I activated that option and tried it, but it didn't work. I have been going back and forth with Roland support trying to figure this out but their suggestions don't work. I'm not sure their support people have actually used the Fantom 0, or any Fantom for that matter, in this manner. I tried so many things already that I thought would work, but I'm out of ideas. It seems like the scenes were only created to work with the internal sequencer on the Fantom. I'm not sure why the Fantom can't respond to external midi as if it is internal and just play the scene zones/parts that are part of that scene and nothing else. I can record arm however many MIDI channels in Ableton and send that midi to the Roland, but then I have to unarm/rearm midi channels as I go through the scenes, and the whole MIDI thing just doesn't work right when playing internal sounds. Frustrating.
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

I guess I’m returning this keyboard. Thanks Roland, you were of great help. None of your support people know wtf they’re talking about.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

acpittpro wrote: 04:27, 4 May 2022 I guess I’m returning this keyboard. Thanks Roland, you were of great help. None of your support people know wtf they’re talking about.
Sorry to be nag, but I think we are mixing the things a little here...

When the board's USB Driver is set to VENDOR, both AUDIO- 16xStereo channels (DAW) IN, 4xChannels (DAW) OUT and MIDI are enabled.

So assuming your DAW is correctly configured, meaning, having 16 Audio tracks IN created and enabled for recording, the ZONES 1-16 of the Fantom-0 will play correspondently to DAW tracks 1-16. But this has nothing to do with MIDI! we are just talking about AUDIO over USB here.

Regarding MIDI, you need to setup the Fantom as a MIDI device Keyboard in order for the MIDI messages to be received by the DAW, but this only happens if you use at least one EXT zone.
Subsequent EXT zones will generate MIDI Data in their respective channels, whenever a note is played on the keyboard is range assigned to that Ext Zone.

I hope this makes sense...

Honestly... The Fantoms were made to record multichannel Audio to an External DAW and MIDI to the internal sequencer, as clips.
FGM

Post by FGM »

I am not sure if I am understanding the issue, acpittpro , but ...

USB Audio can be set to either Mix or Parallel.

If set to MIX, all audio signals output from the FANTOM are mixed to channels 1–2. This is convenient for stereo recording. Other channels are output according to their settings.

If set to PARALLEL, the audio signals output from the
FANTOM are output individually from all channels. This is convenient for simultaneous multi-channel recording.

Also, USB Audio Output Switch can be set OFF or ON.
Specifies whether audio from the FANTOM is output to a computer or other device connected to the USB COMPUTER port (ON) or is not output (OFF).

And then the USB Audio Output Level 0–127 adjusts the USB audio output level.

All this settings can be found in the SYSTEM menu.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

FGM wrote: 15:02, 27 May 2022 I am not sure if I am understanding the issue, acpittpro , but ...

USB Audio can be set to either Mix or Parallel.

If set to MIX, all audio signals output from the FANTOM are mixed to channels 1–2. This is convenient for stereo recording. Other channels are output according to their settings.

If set to PARALLEL, the audio signals output from the
FANTOM are output individually from all channels. This is convenient for simultaneous multi-channel recording.

Also, USB Audio Output Switch can be set OFF or ON.
Specifies whether audio from the FANTOM is output to a computer or other device connected to the USB COMPUTER port (ON) or is not output (OFF).

And then the USB Audio Output Level 0–127 adjusts the USB audio output level.

All this settings can be found in the SYSTEM menu.
Those are awesome and detailed tips FGM!!

Anyway, as I said in my previous post, the OP is talking about MIDI, not Audio...

If I understood well the issue, I believe that what he wants is to be able to record the Fantom's MIDI messages to a DAW, in Split channels mode...and that is possible, in case we enable the Zones as EXT.
dabassment

Post by dabassment »

Have you tried changing all 16 midi rx channels to 1? Usually works for me.