FANTOM 0x - SuperNatural Piano Polyphony issue

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
jabberwocky

Re: FANTOM 0x - SuperNatural Piano Polyphony issue

Post by jabberwocky »

I believe the fantom0 should perform better (or atleast equal) than fa08 for SN piano s , for polyphony when using the hold pedal in continuous mode. But it doesn t.

I don t see this as preconceived ideas.

Please continue story telling in another thread. It has a lack of further info for this polyphony issue in SN piano, while using the hold pedal, on fantom 0

Thank you
peterjohnson88

Post by peterjohnson88 »

Go into the menu-
hit zone edit-
scroll to voice reserve-
turn on voice assign mode to full-
set voice reserve to 20+ for each voice that's turned on. If you're not using a voice, leave it on zero.
That will give you more polyphony without notes dropping out. As you layer more voices, polyphony drops for each voice. I have 2 pianos and some strings layered, so on the three sounds there's around 21 on the setting for each, which sounds good with no notes dropping. If you use only 1 piano, crank it up all the way and you wont have any notes dropping for sure. The more patches you have playing at once will diminish the polyphony, so if you have strings and horns and 5 pianos all playing at once, low notes are gonna drop out. AND..... dont forget to save into scene!!
xp30

Post by xp30 »

peterjohnson88 wrote: 20:59, 21 October 2023 turn on voice assign mode to full-
set voice reserve to 20+ for each voice that's turned on. If you're not using a voice, leave it on zero.
That will give you more polyphony without notes dropping out. As you layer more voices, polyphony drops for each voice. I have 2 pianos and some strings layered, so on the three sounds there's around 21 on the setting for each, which sounds good with no notes dropping. If you use only 1 piano, crank it up all the way and you wont have any notes dropping for sure. The more patches you have playing at once will diminish the polyphony, so if you have strings and horns and 5 pianos all playing at once, low notes are gonna drop out. AND..... dont forget to save into scene!!
The demo from the original post has been deleted. I assume it was just demonstrating how many SN-AP notes the Fantom-0 can play. I can reproduce the issue as follows:
  • Press the hold pedal.
  • Press and hold C2.
  • Play a C major scale from C3 up to C7 (29 notes), and then down from C7 to C3 (29 notes).
If I do that, then C2 stops sounding before reaching C3 again. That is not surprising, because SN-AP triggers typically 2 stereo partials per key (plus a key-off partial). 54-58 notes can be played simultaneously in this case. Voice assign mode and voice reserve can not increase the number of simultaneously sounding notes.

It is also worth mentioning that the recent software update 1.04 fixed some polyphony-related issues. With version 1.04, it should no longer be necessary to tweak voice assign mode and voice reserve.

There also seems to be a misunderstanding about voice assign mode. Changing voice assign mode to FULL is rarely useful. On the contrary, if I change voice assign mode to SINGLE for the example mentioned above, then I will no longer hear notes dropping off, even if I extend the range to 5 or 6 octaves.