New Fantom-07, System Update BRICKED My Board

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
anickt

Re: New Fantom-07, System Update BRICKED My Board

Post by anickt »

I originally went through the same thing as the OP.

Long story short, I bought a new 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade. It was already formatted FAT32 so I didn’t format it. I copied the firmware files to it, followed the instructions on the Roland updates page and it was done in around 5 minutes.

The instructions do repeat the first message but since it’s the same message, just wait until you see it and then release the button.
Zoreviy

Post by Zoreviy »

I successfully updated Fantom-06 from v.1.01 to v.1.02 using a brand new SanDisk 32Gb USB memory stick and strictly followed Roland's website's official PROCEDURE FOR THE UPDATE ROLAND FANTOM-06/07/08 guide. Later I tried exactly the same procedure with the same memory stick to update the synth to FW 1.03 and the synth stuck on step 5, showing not "Update (board2) End..." but "Update (board2) Error...".
I turned the synth off and on (It booted normally), even entered the menu and checked FW version (1.03) BUT right after I hit a few keys to check sound the synth stuck with no sound, no reaction to any button on the front panel and even the power switch push button (sick!). The only way to reboot the synth in this condition is from the wall outlet.
The next steps to resolve the issue are:
- enter the Menu - Utility and format USB memory stick;
- put the copy of FW to the memory stick again (I downloaded it from the site again to be sure the files are not corrupted during de-archiving)
- start the update procedure again.
- without obvious reasons this time you'll see regular "Update (board2) End..." and not the "Update (board2) Error" in the end.
- now you can unmount your memory stick, turn the synth off and on with the push power button
- check all the sounds and the FW version, now it should be fine!

My conclusion - Step 1 is for updating the core system, and Step 2 is for wave memory/sounds/dependencies.
I hope this helps you as the comments above helped me to find out the solution.
vespina

Post by vespina »

Drakton wrote: 21:40, 22 February 2023 I feel for any of you who have had, and will have an issue with your Roland product(s). They simply don't care enough about you as a customer, to do even a mediocre job of which they are charged.
It's easy; after they managed to sell their products to you, they just don't care any more. And won't sweat about it because is the exact same situation with their competitors.
Midi Neuron

Post by Midi Neuron »

It's easy; after they managed to sell their products to you, they just don't care any more. And won't sweat about it because is the exact same situation with their competitors.
[/quote][/quote]

Or maybe the severity of your exaggurated accusations did not meet the level of emergency that you wanted.
vespina

Post by vespina »

Midi Neuron wrote: 01:04, 17 October 2023 Or maybe the severity of your exaggurated accusations did not meet the level of emergency that you wanted.
Well, if a bricked keyboard does not qualify as an emergency I don't know what could. And if you find my accusations "exaggerated", try to run a poll here to see how many people had received a satisfactory timely response from Roland's post sale support, other than getting a replacement unit. 
Old No7

Post by Old No7 »

Mine will likely need an update some day... (Just got it new 1 month ago)

But to quote a line from the movie "Master and Commander"...

"BE AFRAID -- BE VERY AFRAID"

I'll see how long I can last with how it is now.

Old No7