Question about sequencing

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
goAtsy

Question about sequencing

Post by goAtsy »

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Fantom-0 and have some questions about sequencing. I have previously owned a XP-50 and believe linear sequencing fit my style of composing better.

I know Fantom-0 doesn't have a linear sequencer so how will the experience be when recording to lets say a 64 measure pattern. Will I be able to ff/rew and re-record for example measure 34-36 over and over in a somewhat easy way. If that works I guess I could make my song from two 64 measure patterns. Or do patterns always start recording from the beginning.

Are there any other tips and tricks for shoe-horning a more linear approach?

Thanks
/goAtsy
FGM

Re: Question about sequencing

Post by FGM »

Very much dependant on your composition using so many different tools.

If none are related to tempo or just some that turns out is suitable to be adjusted accordingly ( http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic. ... 02#p329202 ), remember that tempo 10 means a measure following time signature 4/4 lasts 24 seconds, while adjusted to 3/4 will last 18 seconds.

So 64 measures can be made to last 25 minutes and 36 seconds if at 4/4 or 19 minutes and 12 seconds at 3/4.

If that is of no use for you, try recording to a laptop using Audacity...

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic. ... 43#p338043
bpoodoo

Post by bpoodoo »

goAtsy wrote: 19:53, 14 June 2022 I know Fantom-0 doesn't have a linear sequencer so how will the experience be when recording to lets say a 64 measure pattern. Will I be able to ff/rew and re-record for example measure 34-36 over and over in a somewhat easy way. If that works I guess I could make my song from two 64 measure patterns. Or do patterns always start recording from the beginning.

Are there any other tips and tricks for shoe-horning a more linear approach?
From my reading of the Fantom-0 Reference Manual (p. 112), "Loop Settings" allows you to set start point and length (in measures) for a given pattern. That might provide a minimal capability for what you're looking for, but I don't know how well it would work in practice.

For example, if you have multiple tracks you want to hear while you're recording measures in a given track, I think you would need to change the loop settings for the patterns in those other tracks also.

In a linear sequencer, I find punch-in record quite useful. For example, you might start playback at measure 32 and set punch-in record to automatically start between measures 34 and 36 (overwrite or overdub). Hearing the preceeding measures helps to make a more seamless transition and more consistent phrasing when performing and recording those punched-in measures (though if you're quantizing everything, it may not matter too much). I don't see that the Fantom-0 sequencer supports punch-in record.
goAtsy

Post by goAtsy »

Thanks for answering,

When dividing the tempo into half I guess I would need to adjust all tempo-synked items (oscillators, delays, arps, etc.). Even if that would be doable the inability to quickly forward/rewind and rerecord different places within a pattern makes it a bit unusable.

Too bad the Fantom-0 is missing a linear sequencer. Could have been a really nice workstation for more organic compositions if it had.
FGM

Post by FGM »

Sure. Complicated.

It was just a trick arising from the need when Fantom was the only way to record (no software, no laptop) and one sat at the keyboard glaring at those t-h-i-r-t-y+t-w-o measures made available from 2019, the very beginning, till version 3 was released in January 2022, finally rejoicing along the hills and valleys as we were being told that "a single pattern can now be up to 64 measures long when you record."

I am done with 64 measures but reaching 96 or 128 would provide far much wide latitude and I could go digging across the Earth till the antipode jus to let them know "a single pattern can now be up to 128 measures long when you record."

What do you mean by "your new keyboard has arrived, and comes with a spade...?"
dpulver

Post by dpulver »

I onw a Fantom 06 since a few days. The problem is not the 64 bars for one pattern. The problem is, that if you record one or two such long patterns for eg. as a solo part - then you can use triggering part changes only manually on the screen. There is an option for every pattern which can be set for changing "at the next bar" or "at the end of the pattern", but also if you set for "end of bar" and change the patterns by pressing a pattern-change button, then all (!) programmed patterns change - no matter where it is. So your 64 bar pattern is not possible to play to the end. This is - for my oppinion - a realy big lack of the fantom. You don't have any chance for recording one long, linear track - also not audio from the mic input.
FGM

Post by FGM »

😃😃😃😃

I think it will all be dependant on the loop/no loop settings of each pattern and your grouping of patterns....

I made some songs using patterns played at different times that then built groups, when Fantom first arrived, but I don't like it that way regardless of the great results. I feel I am pushing play on a CD player, instead of being the orchestra conductor.

So I 99% of the time play and record everything and if the 64 patterns are not enough I leave Fantom recording behind and use the software in my laptop as I go from scene to scene till the linear recording is accomplished, being five scenes my current longest record so far.

🎹🎹🎹🎹
Henk007

Post by Henk007 »

OMG I have a Fantom 8, wonderful potential but the "sequencer" sucks bigtime. I cannot keep track of which little blocks to put where, instead of simply being able to record linearly. Not to mention being unable to modify anywhere in the middle. I'll have to abandon creating songs on it, and use a laptop with a proper sequencer with it. By the time I get something right, my whole song is forgotten! Sure, videos of people who demo it, looks good, but real world vs advertising.....