Fantom 06 audio crackles

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
indigo76

Fantom 06 audio crackles

Post by indigo76 »

Hi there,

I recently updated my Fantom-06 to version 1.02 (which did not go smoothly, but that's another story).

I just wanted to confirm with you guys if the following is normal:

Use the MFX "modulation delay" with any sound and move the finger over the xy touchpad on the left side of the screen. I hear crackles when doing so, and the experience is not smooth, as if the processor can't handle the cpu load.

I wonder if there is a performance degradation after the update.

Thanks for testing!
Español

Re: Fantom 06 audio crackles

Post by Español »

indigo76 wrote: 23:15, 29 August 2022 Hi there,

I recently updated my Fantom-06 to version 1.02 (which did not go smoothly, but that's another story).

I just wanted to confirm with you guys if the following is normal:

Use the MFX "modulation delay" with any sound and move the finger over the xy touchpad on the left side of the screen. I hear crackles when doing so, and the experience is not smooth, as if the processor can't handle the cpu load.

I wonder if there is a performance degradation after the update.

Thanks for testing!
Well, what you say worries me a lot, since I just bought a Fantom-07 and I haven't updated the firmware yet, so I don't know if I should wait to see if someone else has had the same thing happen to you.

Anyway, in this same forum, I have seen people who already have the new firmware 1.02 and have not commented that they had problems....

Let's see if someone who already has the new firmware 1.02, can check what you say and clarify it for us a little more....
indigo76

Post by indigo76 »

Yeah, it could be that the crackling is not related to the update at all -- I just haven't tested it before the update.

Might be that the 0 series is not as powerful as the "big" fantom and in some edge cases it shows. I suspect the modulation delay effect uses a lot of processing power. It is usable, though -- the knobs respond as they should, only if you use the touch interface and move the small dot around with your finger you experience hiccups.

As I said, I'd be grateful to know if others have the same experience (pre-update or post-update).
Español

Post by Español »

indigo76 wrote: 09:54, 31 August 2022 Yeah, it could be that the crackling is not related to the update at all -- I just haven't tested it before the update.

Might be that the 0 series is not as powerful as the "big" fantom and in some edge cases it shows. I suspect the modulation delay effect uses a lot of processing power. It is usable, though -- the knobs respond as they should, only if you use the touch interface and move the small dot around with your finger you experience hiccups.

As I said, I'd be grateful to know if others have the same experience (pre-update or post-update).
I still have firmware 1.00.

If you explain everything to me step by step, everything I have to do to test what happens to you (since it's only been a few days and I've barely been able to test it), then I would try to do what happens to you to see if it's a Firmware problem or not.

But please, you would have to put me here everything step by step well detailed to prove what you have tried. Thanks.

And also please try to make the English as simple as possible, since I am Spanish and I have to be translating with the Google translator. Thanks.
indigo76

Post by indigo76 »

First of all, thank you!

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Press "single tone" (to keep things simple we will use a single tone)
2. Select a tone ("Ac Pop Piano 1" is pre-selected on my machine, but any tone can be used)
3. In the section "Synth Control", press "FX"
4. Choose "Modulation Delay" as an effect
5. Hold a note and simultaneously move the dot on the x-y pad on the left side of the screen
6. In my case, there is audio crackling while the note sounds

Hope this is clear.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

I can reproduce it on my Fantom-7, however, only when moving vertically (parameter Depth) and not when moving horizontally (parameter Mod Rate). I can also reproduce it by changing the parameter Depth with the knob below the display.

Note that Depth is not a destination in the MFX Ctrl matrix.

I would say that these kind of audio effects are not unusual when changing FX parameters that are not designed to be a modulation destinations, and I don't think it has anything to do with processing power.
Español

Post by Español »

indigo76 wrote: 09:31, 1 September 2022 First of all, thank you!

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Press "single tone" (to keep things simple we will use a single tone)
2. Select a tone ("Ac Pop Piano 1" is pre-selected on my machine, but any tone can be used)
3. In the section "Synth Control", press "FX"
4. Choose "Modulation Delay" as an effect
5. Hold a note and simultaneously move the dot on the x-y pad on the left side of the screen
6. In my case, there is audio crackling while the note sounds

Hope this is clear.
Thank you very much for describing step by step everything that needs to be done to test the problem you have.

Next week when I'll be more relaxed, I'll try it on my Fantom 7. Thanks and regards.