Fantom 07 Sequencer

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
IkerG

Fantom 07 Sequencer

Post by IkerG »

Hi All,
Started sequencing a bit on the Fantom 07, besides finding 8 patterns per zone insufficient to program anything but basic ideas, the resort is to make those patterns long, 16+ bars. So far so good, but then, there are a a list of things about the editor that puzzle me... say I record a long pattern, say 32 bars...make a couple of mistakes here and there, go into the editor, fix them, then...incredibly I have to listen to the pattern from the beginning in order to audition the changes! I'd like to hear the programming 1 or 2 bars before my current edit, maybe the section I have on display...but seems there is no way to do that. am I missing something? what a colossal waste of time needing to listen to a change in bar 23 from the beginning of the pattern and then realize that the velocity of the new note or edit is wrong...fix it and then having to listen to the whole thing again and maybe still needing to adjust... Am I missing something?

There are plenty more things about the editor that are really puzzling that they don't exist, e.g. selecting a specific range of notes and applying velocity changes to only that set of notes, select and individual note within a chord to change it's velocity, when in the velocity editor, how about displaying the value anywhere in the display as you change it...and a long list more of things that makes this sequencer very basic.
Saxifraga

Re: Fantom 07 Sequencer

Post by Saxifraga »

That's why I still use my Fantom G6 and an iPad and Integra Module!
Only the Fantom 0x Zen-Core engine is a bit better, but that can be addressed with my iPad.
I also have all the sounds I want in that Integra Unit. I just have to do some work to keep patches consistent.
I like this MC-707 and bought one used, but that's only for looper based electronic pop music.
wkr
xp30

Post by xp30 »

IkerG wrote: 20:56, 7 October 2022 say I record a long pattern, say 32 bars...make a couple of mistakes here and there, go into the editor, fix them, then...incredibly I have to listen to the pattern from the beginning in order to audition the changes!
I have recently seen a Youtube video, in which the presenter basically described the same issue, and their solution for it. They are using the Loop Settings (on the pattern screen), which can be used to select a sub-range of the pattern, work on the sub-range, and eventually select the whole range again.

The Youtube video is: https://youtu.be/Eml91siJFw8 (Roland Fantom-0 06 07 08 Sequencer - How to start part way through a pattern by BigAntVideo)
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

If Roland will update the 0 series with a competent full sequencer like Fantoms and FA had it, I will join your brigade of owners. I'm occasionally checking is it happening or not.
IkerG

Post by IkerG »

xp30 wrote: 20:46, 8 October 2022
IkerG wrote: 20:56, 7 October 2022 say I record a long pattern, say 32 bars...make a couple of mistakes here and there, go into the editor, fix them, then...incredibly I have to listen to the pattern from the beginning in order to audition the changes!
I have recently seen a Youtube video, in which the presenter basically described the same issue, and their solution for it. They are using the Loop Settings (on the pattern screen), which can be used to select a sub-range of the pattern, work on the sub-range, and eventually select the whole range again.

The Youtube video is: https://youtu.be/Eml91siJFw8 (Roland Fantom-0 06 07 08 Sequencer - How to start part way through a pattern by BigAntVideo)
That's pretty helpful, not the best way of doing it ( not the solution which works, the implementation that forces this procedure)... but at least a work around

How about the editing the velocity of a single note within a chord? any suggestions? as you can see in the video, you can edit the whole chord using the wheel, if you do it with the finger, all velocities of the chord snap on the same value...