Zone switching probs using button switches

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
enef

Zone switching probs using button switches

Post by enef »

Hi all. Sorry if this is painful to read! I’ll start off saying I want to use the switch buttons and not the pads for what I’m trying to achieve here.

I have a number of tones which I’ve assigned to zones 1 through 8. I’ve set them up so that I can layer them freely - ie I can turn on more than one switch button to instantly stack sounds, or can simply play one zone at a time by activating/deactivating the zone’s switch buttons.
The problem I’m having is that I can’t have the scene in a completely mute and/or totally zone independent state. It seems that the zone which is graphically highlighted in Zone View is the one that’s determining how the layers activate and behave. And I can’t even turn that “main” zone off in the end.

So, simply put, (and only using the button switches directly relevant to each zone ) has anyone placed a set of tones into a multi zone scene, and been able to (from silence) activate/deactivate the tones in free layers or/or individually? Thanks for any help. 🙂
xp30

Re: Zone switching probs using button switches

Post by xp30 »

enef wrote: 00:54, 18 May 2023 So, simply put, (and only using the button switches directly relevant to each zone ) has anyone placed a set of tones into a multi zone scene, and been able to (from silence) activate/deactivate the tones in free layers or/or individually?
First, I recommend taking a look at the documentation for zone section operation (page 8-9 in the reference manual), and how Zone Int/Ext Control (BASIC or ADVANCED) in the system settings affect the zone section operation. I personally prefer setting it to ADVANCED, because I find it easier to understand. However, regardless whether it is set to BASIC or ADVANCED, if all zones are turned off, then the currently selected zone will sound.

Second, a useful trick is to create a user tone that produces no sound (and consumes no polyphony). Initialize a Zen-Core user tone, disable the first partial, and save it. I actually have such a tone in the very first user slot on many of my keyboards.

If you combine the knowledge of zone section operation with the silent user tone, then you can easily create a scene where you can individually enable/disable zones and go from silence to 15 actively sounding zones.
enef

Post by enef »

Thanks so much XP30. I’ve come from a Kurzweil which allows more immediate flexibility, and I’ve been trying to replicate that logic on this board. Ironically you’ve confirmed the “workaround” which I had tried myself earlier - the silent zone, plus I’ll certainly use your suggestion of a Partial disabled Zencore user tone - I hadn’t fully fleshed out how to deal with the polyphony issue. Appreciate your reply😊
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

You could also set a Zone with a volume of 0. Make that the default Zone and then you can add remove as you want with the remaining Zones. As XP30 points out, this will still use up polyphony.
enef

Post by enef »

Thanks Pianoman41. Yes, I am starting to see the different methods to achieving this, and minimising the polyphony take-up I suppose will be of paramount importance. Cheers