Using StageTraxx3 with Fantom O

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
kevape51

Using StageTraxx3 with Fantom O

Post by kevape51 »

Hi all,

I am trying to set up Stage Traxx 3 for live backing tracks and have a wireless MIDI transmitter to change patches on my iPad, but I want to sync the start button on the fantom with the start of the track on the iPad so that I have a click track being generated by the keyboard. I'm not that experienced with MIDI and so what command do I need to put on stagetraxx to let it know to start? Although I have managed to get the patch change to work by using a MIDI Learn function on the App, when I try to get the app to recognise the "start" button as a MIDI message, nothing happens. Is this because I need a controller command ? If so, what number ?
Any help welcome, but I can't find this anywhere online.
xp30

Re: Using StageTraxx3 with Fantom O

Post by xp30 »

I know nothing about StageTraxx3. The pattern sequencer on the Fantom can be controlled with the MIDI system real-time messages START (FAH), CONTINUE (FBH) and STOP (FCH). According to the MIDI implementation document, they are only received by the Fantom "when Sync Mode parameter (SYSTEM:SYNC/TEMPO) is set to EXTERNAL or REMOTE".
kevape51

Post by kevape51 »

Thank you for the reply.I’m not sure I totally get that, but it sounds like the Fantom 0 has to be the “slave” not the master and receive the start or stop command. I wish you could save a bpm to each sample pad and generate a click. That would make using loops live so much easier and would solve my problem as the pattern sequencer is useless if you’re using samples.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

Maybe it is easier to look at what you actually want to achieve. As I understand it, you are already using and iPad with Stage Traxx 3 for backing tracks, and you want to hear a click track. According to Stage Traxx 3 website, the software supports up to 6 stereo tracks and 4 stereo outputs.

In this case, I would suggest to add an audio click track in Stage Traxx 3. It is simpler, and it is more flexible (for example, it will be easier to add a cue track in the next step).
kevape51

Post by kevape51 »

Hi again,

Yes that’s true, but I was trying to save buying an audio interface to do it as I want to keep the tracks stereo and there is no way to output audio over usb into the fantom to use the sub outs for 3 tracks. It’s actually cheaper I think to get a multitrack recorder and forget about both the fantom and the iPad. My Kronos just lets you use waves in the sequencer and that’s great, but it weighs the same as a school bus and I don’t want to haul it to gigs.
Thank you though.
JordanHorton

Post by JordanHorton »

kevape51 wrote: 13:16, 17 June 2023 Hi all,

I am trying to set up Stage Traxx 3 for live backing tracks and have a wireless MIDI transmitter to change patches on my iPad, but I want to sync the start button on the fantom with the start of the track on the iPad so that I have a click track being generated by the keyboard. I'm not that experienced with MIDI and so what command do I need to put on stagetraxx to let it know to start? Although I have managed to get the patch change to work by using a MIDI Learn function on the App, when I try to get the app to recognise the "start" button as a MIDI message, nothing happens. Is this because I need a controller command ? If so, what number ?
Any help welcome, but I can't find this anywhere online.
To sync the start button on your Fantom keyboard with Stage Traxx 3 on your iPad, you'll need to send a MIDI start message from the Fantom to the app. The MIDI start message is a standard MIDI command that tells the receiving device to start playing.