MIDI Routing

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
Visitor247

MIDI Routing

Post by Visitor247 »

Hi,

I think this is not possible with the Fantom 07, but maybe I simply don't know or there's a different solution.

I have a Boss EV-1-WL pedal and a Line 6 49 keys keyboard.
The pedal doesn't have a jack output. Instead it sends MIDI Data via MIDI, USB or Bluetooth. I plugged MIDI into my Fantom 07's MIDI in.
The Keyboard goes via USB into EXT DEVICE and plays the notes of the Zone the MIDI channel it is set to.

Let's say I set the pedal to CC#11, and two connected switches to CC#64 for sustain and CC#81 for something else. (You can connect other Pedals to the EV-1-WL which then converts it to MIDI data.)

How can I, for example, route the CC#11 to a specific zone without reprogramming the pedal?
How can I route and convert the data, so that the CC#11 controls the volume of a specific zone?
How can I get the CC#64 to only work on specific zone (I think I know the, since there is a filter, but I haven't tested it, yet)?
How can I get the CC#81 to do whatever I want, e.g. go to the next Kbd Sw Group?

The Line 6 playes note without problem but pitch bend and wheel do not work. My guess is, that it's MIDI Data the Fantom cannot allocated to a specific zone. Or maybe it simply doesn't work because it's not a Roland product as stated in the manual.

Thanks for your help in advance
Guido
xp30

Re: MIDI Routing

Post by xp30 »

Visitor247 wrote: 16:51, 29 August 2023 I have a Boss EV-1-WL pedal and a Line 6 49 keys keyboard.
The pedal doesn't have a jack output. Instead it sends MIDI Data via MIDI, USB or Bluetooth. I plugged MIDI into my Fantom 07's MIDI in.
The Keyboard goes via USB into EXT DEVICE and plays the notes of the Zone the MIDI channel it is set to.

Let's say I set the pedal to CC#11, and two connected switches to CC#64 for sustain and CC#81 for something else. (You can connect other Pedals to the EV-1-WL which then converts it to MIDI data.)

How can I, for example, route the CC#11 to a specific zone without reprogramming the pedal?
How can I route and convert the data, so that the CC#11 controls the volume of a specific zone?
How can I get the CC#64 to only work on specific zone (I think I know the, since there is a filter, but I haven't tested it, yet)?
How can I get the CC#81 to do whatever I want, e.g. go to the next Kbd Sw Group?

The Line 6 playes note without problem but pitch bend and wheel do not work. My guess is, that it's MIDI Data the Fantom cannot allocated to a specific zone. Or maybe it simply doesn't work because it's not a Roland product as stated in the manual.
First, I have a Roland A-300pro connected to the EXT DEVICE port. This is a keyboard that is listed as supported, and pitch bend and modulation work as expected. There is nothing special about pitch bend and modulation on the A-300pro. It is unclear what it exactly the issue with your Line 6 Mobile Keys 49 is. However, I know that some MIDI keyboards are not working with the Fantom EXT DEVICE port, for example my Arturia Keylab. I would suggest to try a different MIDI keyboard.

Regarding the pedal: If you would have just the Fantom-0 and the Boss EV-1-WL, then you could enable remote keyboard mode on the Fantom. In this mode, the pedal would affect all zones that are affected by the Fantom-0 controls. You could then selectively disable the receive flags on individual zones to control which zones should respond.

However, this is not really an option if you also want to connect a MIDI keyboard. I would suggest to get a regular pedal. With a regular pedal, you can do the two CC#11 things and the CC#64 thing. The CC#81 will not work, because it is not possible to control keyboard switch groups with a pedal (without an external MIDI mapper).
Visitor247

Post by Visitor247 »

Thanks, that helped a lot, although your last sentence was a bit of a shock.
So, I will have to chance Kbd Sw Groups by hand while playing?

Here's an example: On group one there is a Sound that uses two Zones. Group two is a single Piano. Group three is group one with an added Zone. While playing there is no time to lift a hand from the keyboard to switch zones.
Is there a way to accomplish the switching with pedals?

I could switch Scenes with a pedal, but that would mean I had to switch between all the variations in a song with scenes and I already have a song where I used a lot of Sw Groups with all 16 Zones in that one song.

But maybe I did something wrong?
In that song there are variations of the same sound in different volumes and/or different octaves, different sections on the keyboard. To do that I copied the Zone and applied different parameters, so of the 16 Zones there are 4 with the same sound, only with different parameters. Is this the typical way to do that?
xp30

Post by xp30 »

Visitor247 wrote: 08:52, 9 September 2023 So, I will have to chance Kbd Sw Groups by hand while playing?
There are a number of options by using external MIDI components. For example, I have mentioned my DIY solution in https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 88#p339788. I started another discussion about DIY MIDI "boosters" in https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 66&t=69971.

Beyond DIY solution: It is likely that one of the MIDI iOS apps could do the same thing. However, I am not terribly familiar with these apps, and I can not give specific recommendations.