Tone List Abbreviations

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
Midi Neuron

Tone List Abbreviations

Post by Midi Neuron »

Going through the many tone names that are in the various lists such as Piano, Synth etc. I noticed Z-Core followed by Pre, SRX, User and others. The only abbreviation that I don't get is Z-Core CMN. Is the CMN common? If so, what are examples of zen core common patches?
xp30

Re: Tone List Abbreviations

Post by xp30 »

Midi Neuron wrote: 17:14, 3 October 2023 The only abbreviation that I don't get is Z-Core CMN. Is the CMN common? If so, what are examples of zen core common patches?
In https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 66&t=69068 I posted an overview of the banks, on which devices they exist, and how they are called on each device. The bank CMN is actually called "COMMON" on the Jupiter-X and Juno-X.

The CMN bank was already part of the AX-Edge, which was the first Z-Core hardware product. There is something special about bank CMN: All of the tones use only a subset of the Zen-Core engine. If I remember correctly, then none of the CMN tones use the VA part of Zen-Core. Based on that, I guess that these tones were designed for an earlier product that only supported a subset of what we now know as Z-Core.

Why are you asking?
Midi Neuron

Re: Tone List Abbreviations

Post by Midi Neuron »

Thank you for your complete and thoughtful answer, xp30.

The reason for my question is because I have received my new Fantom-08 about 1.5 weeks ago. After going through the factory loaded stuff, I then decided to load 4 EXZ groups.(good free sounds!) So then I had to look for the tones with the EXZ 006, 009, etc numbers. This made me notice things like SN AP, SN EP, Z-Core and all of the abbreviations made perfect sense to me exept CMN. I may need to edit some of these tones in the near future, so when different parameters come up maybe CMN will have differences. (Or not)

I do own an Ax-Edge, so that is interesting about the Z-Core Common thing.

I also own an Integra-7, so it is interesting to see how differently the Fantom-0 series implements Super Natural.

Thanks again for the info.