Fantom-06/07/08 Firmware Ver.1.0.4

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
xp30

Fantom-06/07/08 Firmware Ver.1.0.4

Post by xp30 »

Roland apparently released almost simultaneously Ver.3.0.2 for the big Fantom and Ver.1.0.4 for the Fantom-0. The download page for the Fantom-0 lists the following differences:

[ Ver.1.04 ] OCT 2023
[ Functionality Improvement ]
  • Improved the stability of pronunciation when layering multiple tones.
[ Bug Fixes ]
  • Minor bugs were fixed.
For comparison, Ver.3.0.2 for the big Fantom also lists a change related to aftertouch.
xp30

Re: Fantom-06/07/08 Firmware Ver.1.0.4

Post by xp30 »

Sorry, I spelled the version numbers incorrectly. There is no dot between the second and third digit. The new version for the Fantom-0 is 1.04, and the new version for the big Fantom is 3.02.
xp30

Re: Fantom-06/07/08 Firmware Ver.1.0.4

Post by xp30 »

On the big Fantom, the recent update fixed the known polyphony-related issues. That means I can no longer reproduce the issues, where some notes are audibly cut off long before other notes. I guess the update 1.04 does the same for the Fantom-0.

The release notes mention: Improved the stability of pronunciation when layering multiple tones.

I guess that is the fix for the polyphony-related issues. I have not seen the term pronunciation in this context before. I guess that this term (or its translation) is common in some regions, because I could find it in publications from non-English authors. I guess pronunciation means that the important part of a note is clearly articulated.

It is unclear what Roland changed exactly. The part "when layering multiple tones" suggests that it has something to do with prioritization of notes from different parts. I guess they tweaked the algorithm/data-structure that decides which note to drop when approaching the polyphony limits.