Is 256MB still the limit for user samples on keys?

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
gorgorsan

Is 256MB still the limit for user samples on keys?

Post by gorgorsan »

Is 256MB still the limit for user samples to be loaded on keys (not pads)?
billw

Re: Is 256MB still the limit for user samples on keys?

Post by billw »

Yes it is, and that is shared with any expansions you load as well.
gorgorsan

Post by gorgorsan »

billw wrote: 12:54, 29 October 2023 Yes it is, and that is shared with any expansions you load as well.
Hi, thanks for the answer. But is there a way to play/trigger WAV samples that are imported to pads with keys of the Fantom 0 or with MIDI keyboard controller attached to MIDI in port?
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

gorgorsan wrote: 13:24, 29 October 2023 is there a way to play/trigger WAV samples that are imported to pads with keys of the Fantom 0 or with MIDI keyboard controller attached to MIDI in port?
It can be done on the FA, so I'm thinking it may be possible to do it on the Fantom as well, I wonder if anyone here has any experience there. There's some discussion of doing this on the FA in various threads here, like the one at https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 55&t=49731
It was strictly a one-pad-sample-to-one-key assignment, where the sounds were assigned to a set of consecutive keys, no stretching to other notes. So it's useful if, for example, you'd rather trigger a sample from a key than a pad (e.g. you have the pads set to perform some other function, or the keys are more convenient to get to for the task at hand), or if you need only a limited keyboard playability (assuming you've sampled every note you need).
xp30

Post by xp30 »

anotherscott2022 wrote: 16:45, 29 October 2023
gorgorsan wrote: 13:24, 29 October 2023 is there a way to play/trigger WAV samples that are imported to pads with keys of the Fantom 0 or with MIDI keyboard controller attached to MIDI in port?
It can be done on the FA, so I'm thinking it may be possible to do it on the Fantom as well, I wonder if anyone here has any experience there. There's some discussion of doing this on the FA in various threads here, like the one at https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 55&t=49731
Yes, it is possible on the Fantom-0 to trigger the pad samples from the keyboard. The mapping of the 64 samples to notes is fixed. You can use transpose to move them.

There are many limitations. For example, the hold pedal has not effect. And the level of the samples is velocity sensitive (which is not always useful).