MFX handling in Fantom-0 scene

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
vespina

MFX handling in Fantom-0 scene

Post by vespina »

I am evaluating to move from my current JunoDS to a Fantom-0 and one thing I would like to know is how is the MFX handling on the Fantom=0. In the JunoDS each tone can have 1 MFX assigned and although you can have up to 16 tones in a single performance (the JunoDS equivalent to Fantom-0 scene), since a performance can support up to 3 different MFX, just 3 of those 16 tones will sound as expected because of the MFX limitation.

How is this handled on the Fantom-0? Will I am be able to layer, lets say, 8 tones with FX in the same scene without loosing sound quality of those tones?

TIA

Victor Espina
xp30

Re: MFX handling in Fantom-0 scene

Post by xp30 »

vespina wrote: 15:40, 31 October 2023 I am evaluating to move from my current JunoDS to a Fantom-0 and one thing I would like to know is how is the MFX handling on the Fantom=0. In the JunoDS each tone can have 1 MFX assigned and although you can have up to 16 tones in a single performance (the JunoDS equivalent to Fantom-0 scene), since a performance can support up to 3 different MFX, just 3 of those 16 tones will sound as expected because of the MFX limitation.

How is this handled on the Fantom-0? Will I am be able to layer, lets say, 8 tones with FX in the same scene without loosing sound quality of those tones?
This is a complicated topic, and let me try to avoid getting lost in details.

First, it makes a difference whether Scene Remain is enabled or not. Let's assume it is enabled. In this case, you can only use 8 parts, however, you can seamless switch from one scene to another (including effects).

The following diagram is from the reference manual:
fantom-routing.png
fantom-routing.png (112.24 KiB) Viewed 214 times
You have the following global effects that are NOT stored with the scene:
  • Master Comp
  • Master EQ
  • TFX
  • Input EQ
  • Input Reverb
  • Input MFX
You have the following scene effects that are stored with the scene:
  • Chorus (send effect)
  • Reverb (send effect)
  • IFX 1 (insert effect)
  • IFX 2 (insert effect)
  • 3-band EQ for each zone
And each tone has an MFX that is stored with the tone. VTW tones have 1 flexible MFX + 1 rotary effect + 1 overdrive effect, however, VTW tones can only be used in zone 1 (which also means only 1 VTW tone per scene).

You can use all of these effects at the same time for the 8 parts (with scene remain enabled), and when switching to a different scene, the effects from the previous scene will not be cut off, and you can also use all of the effects from the new scene.