Fantom as EXT device

Forum for the Fantom-0 workstation/synthesizer
Edmusic1963

Fantom as EXT device

Post by Edmusic1963 »

Hi,

I have read some possible issues regarding triggering FANTOM sounds via external MIDI keyboard.
I plan to trigger some addn sounds from the internal section (ie Organ pt2) via a Novation Impulse MIDI keyboard.
Anyone with some addn info

thnx!
xp30

Re: Fantom as EXT device

Post by xp30 »

Edmusic1963 wrote: 14:01, 7 February 2024 I have read some possible issues regarding triggering FANTOM sounds via external MIDI keyboard.
I plan to trigger some addn sounds from the internal section (ie Organ pt2) via a Novation Impulse MIDI keyboard.
Based on the subject, I guess you are asking about issues that are specific to connecting external keyboards to the USB EXT DEVICE port. Correct?

The Roland Fantom and Fantom-0 are a bit picky about the connected devices. According to the following article, the A-49 or A-PRO series MIDI controllers are supported: https://support.roland.com/hc/en-us/art ... EVICE-port

Other MIDI-USB-compliant keyboards might not work. For example, I tried connecting an Arturia MiniLab to the EXT DEVICE port, and that was unusable. However, some other devices work well. For example, I have not noticed any issues when connecting my Android phone and my Raspberry Pi Zero/Pico.
noel_vd

Re: Fantom as EXT device

Post by noel_vd »

I'm using a Novation Launchpad Mini Mk3. That works fine, but only as midi input (to the Fantom). I have not (yet) been able to find a way to get midi from the Fantom to the Launchpad.