Roland Juno X Clicking note sound issue

The three-in-one Juno
Jameshfdc

Roland Juno X Clicking note sound issue

Post by Jameshfdc »

Hi all. I am wondering if anyone can test there Juno X model to see if there unit does the same as mine. When I bought it and started playing everything seemed to sound great. Until I started playing staccato style with my left hand doing the obvious standard bass notes and the right doing the melody. I noticed clicking sounds on some patches. Even the first patch ‘Juno X’. Mainly the Juno X patches. It seems the Juno 106 and the 60 patches are fine. The clicking happens on some patches on the Juno x library, even when playing normally without staccato style. I love the sounds out of the synth but this is really annoying. The clicking seems to be worse if I adjust the ENV DEPTH fader down so the sound is filtered a lot. I have found if I adjust the HPF by 1, the clicking completely stops. This obviously gets rid of a lot of bottom end. Is this normal? I sent my unit back to be checked and the shop I bought it from tested it via there technicians. They said it was normal and consulted Roland support to be sure, but they also said it was fine. Can anyone put my mind at ease please.
Thanks in advance.
Foksadure

Re: Roland Juno X Clicking note sound issue

Post by Foksadure »

Try to tamper with the Voice Assign parameter, as per the manuals.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... ct/juno-x/

From page 5 in the Juno-X Parameter Guide:
Voice Assign
Sets the way sounds are played when the same key is pressed a number of times.

SINGLE

Only one sound can be played at a time when the same key is pressed.
With continuous sounds where the sound plays for an extended time, the previous sound is stopped when the following sound is played.

LIMIT

Layer the sound of the same keys.
If long-sustaining notes are played consecutively, the previous notes are turned off after a certain number of notes accumulate.

FULL

Layer the sound of the same keys.
Even with continuous sounds where the sound plays for an extended time without previously played sounds being eliminated.
Jameshfdc

Post by Jameshfdc »

Hi, thank you for trying to help me with this issue. I tried what you said and it didn’t do much really. Still the same. Like I stated on previous message, the clicking only happens on certain patches and not all. This makes me think is it just them patches maybe?
Foksadure

Post by Foksadure »

Have you tried to adjust the Attack slider on the Envelope when assigned to Amp?

And which factory Scenes numbers are you referring to?
It would allow Juno-X owners to give it a go and see if it's the same on their unit (which I bet it is).

There's no real Patch mode on these synths: everything is a Scene (aka Performance in the old days), with up to 4 Parts + a Rythm Part.

These synths are mostly software, so this kind of odd behaviour is most likely parameters related.
There a tons of parameters on the audio chain, from the OSC to the MFX, Drive, Master Compressor and Effects.
Unless there's something wrong with the analog output stage.
Jameshfdc

Post by Jameshfdc »

Hi,

Thank you so much for helping me. I have indeed tried adjusting the Amp attack and it still happens. What is strange though, when I push up the HPF fader up by 1, this obviously reduced the bottom end but the clicking completely stops.

Regarding the patches with the clicking issue. The main ones are the first scene called “Juno x” when the filter is low, and playing staccato style or say 6 or so notes at one time. There are several others and seems to be linked to the HPF fader. Like I say when set to it’s lowest the clicking is heard but when taken to say the first notch 1 it’s completely gone.
Jameshfdc

Post by Jameshfdc »

Hi another bad track for clicking sound among others is scene 1-09 Pad & Pluck - Again interestingly enough if I dial up 1 notch on the HPF, the clicking stops.
jezric

Post by jezric »

Yep, I can repro this. For instance, Juno-106 > Heater Pad (001), turn down the filter and set the part to Mono. Sure enough, clicking at the start of the note, if you up the HPF (+1) it goes away. Upping the attack doesn't get rid of it but makes it much more obvious when switching between keys/notes.

Can't repro it on the Juno-60 model. Looks to be an issue with the Juno-X and Juno-106 models, I can repro on either. I think the key is setting the part to Mono, lower bass notes, turn down the filter freq.

Note, it is happening pre-fx as if you turn up the delay, you can hear the click echo.

Looks like a bug to me.... I would file a support ticket for it, hope it's something that can be fixed in firmware.

I made a video demonstrating the issue, much more obvious on the Juno-106 model.
https://youtu.be/P8TbEvLt5Wk
Jameshfdc

Post by Jameshfdc »

Hi Jezric,

Thank you for the clarification on these issues. Glad it’s not just my unit that is faulty. Yes hopefully they issue an update soon. I keep looking on there website daily. I did file a report with them when I bought it and the support team didn’t seem to grasp the issues even though I posted videos etc. I am sure it will get sorted and to be honest for now, I can work around it. I suppose now I know it’s not an issue direct to my unit I can move one. I will wait patiently for a future update.

Cheers once again to all who responded to my question.
Jameshfdc

Post by Jameshfdc »

Hello All,

I thought that I should update my previous note clicking issue. Thankfully, since Roland did the update Version 1.11, the issue has vanished. My Juno X is now perfect and very enjoyable to use.

Thank you once again for all the comments to help with my issue.

James