Juno-106 original presets on Juno-X

The three-in-one Juno
pianobacki

Juno-106 original presets on Juno-X

Post by pianobacki »

Dear Community,

I have the Juno-X and the WC-1 with Roland Cloud free.Pro membership.
I would like to have the original Juno-106 presets on the Juno-X.

As far as I understand only a few of the tone presets on the Juno-X in the Juno-106 model are the original ones. (namely the ones in capital letters).

Now I do find "JUNO-106: The Original 128" in the cloud under "Patches & Patterns", but I can only install this if I install the corresponding model. But I don't want to install this because the Pro membership only comes with 2 models, and I actually already have the Juno-106 on the Juno-X. Do I have a mistake in thinking?

Glad about any hint.
Daniel
nagyzoli76

Re: Juno-106 original presets on Juno-X

Post by nagyzoli76 »

I don't have a Juno X, only a Roland Fantom, but since the Juno 106 Model Expansion is a basic accessory, I can help. It bothered me why all 128 sounds were not in the preset list, so I created the missing sounds. Since I don't have an original Juno 106, Cherry Audio DCO-106 VST Plugin was the help, as it contains all 128 factory patches that were made for the Juno 106. I loaded the Juno 106 Model Expansion into Zenology Pro, into Ableton, then DCO-106, and set the sound settings shown there into the Juno 106 Model Expansion, so I have all 128 sounds at my disposal . This is how I did it in the Jupiter 8 Model Expansion, where the Arturia Jupiter 8 VST was the help, where you can find the factory 64 patches, and the JX-8p in the PG-8X VST. I made the missing preset spots for each of them. The most programmable was the Juno 106, so it's good to use.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KDIkP1 ... share_link
pianobacki

Post by pianobacki »

Wow, that sounds amazing! Thanks for your answer and the effort you have made to fill the gap in the Juno-106 model - a service that should actually be offered by Roland when they bring a synthesizer recreation on the market.

Meanwhile I wrote with Roland support and received the following answer today:

“The Original 128 patches are for use with the Juno-106 plugin, which can't be installed on the Juno-X. […] The Juno-106 model expansion on your Juno-X is a different thing from the Juno-106 plugin.
[…] You'd have to try and recreate them manually. The original patches were included in the ROM of the Juno-106 and there was a backup on an audio data cassette, but there wasn't a manual with all the settings for each patch. The best you can do now is compare the settings in the Juno-106 plugin to the model expansion and try to copy what you can.”

This confirms exactly what you say!
Thanks again for sharing the patches - I will try them out this weekend.

Cheers
Daniel
xp30

Post by xp30 »

That looks interesting. Did you re-create all 128 tones, or did you use the ones that already existed on the Fantom? I tried a few, and I noticed that your MOVING STRINGS sounds different than the MOVING STRINGS that comes from Roland.

I also noticed that some/most of your tones with Juno Chorus have noise enabled, similar to the presets from Roland. Personally, I don't like the noise, and it is usually the first thing that I adjust.
nagyzoli76

Post by nagyzoli76 »

I listened to the difference between the factory settings Cherry Audio DCO-106 Factory Patches and the Juno-106 Model Expansion expansion version. Where I felt it was not accurate, I adjusted it. The DCO-106 exactly emulates the sounds of the Juno-106. All 128 factory sounds are included. By the way, you can also download the 128 factory patches for the Roland Cloud Juno-106 VST. It is interesting that some voices sound different there too. I listened to a video where they played Factory Patch with an original Juno 106, and the Cherry Audio DCO-106 was closer to the original sound. I didn't remove the noise, because the real Juno-106 was also noisy, but if it's annoying, you can remove it, that's true.