Fantom X vs MV8800 ?

Forum for MV-8000/8800
djayhooker

Fantom X vs MV8800 ?

Post by djayhooker »

Yes I understand the fundermental difference of the MV being a sampler and the FX being a rompler.

But how do they differ in sampling ?

I know the Fantom hasn't got the VGA out, put it does have vol pads (all be it not as nice ones), but you do get massive expansion capabilities and all that sound, and that mad piano section.

You get the same sample memory etc, I don't get it. It seems like you get so much more for your money buying a fantom.

Fantom X6 or MV8800, I can't decide :confused:

Bang da box!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom X vs MV8800 ?

Post by Artemiy »

The way these two handle samples is different. Fantom-X handles samples as a whole bank, the plus is you do not have to bother which to load, but the minus you can't load only those samples which you've used in this or that song. MV can store samples with each project, and has more tools and flexibility in regards to what is called "production". If you want a piece of gear that will be the center of your studio, that's the MV. But if you already have an audio workstation and sampler, say, on your computer, Fantom-X will be a better addition as it is a "music instrument" as well.
SekondThought

Re: Fantom X vs MV8800 ?

Post by SekondThought »

"If you want a piece of gear that will be the center of your studio, that's the MV".

I couldn't agree more!

I do hope that one day, Roland have the good sense to put a Juno-G or full scale Fantom-X synthesis engine inside the MV (MV-9000, anyone?), with the option to add an SRX board. Then it would truly be a "COMPLETE" production studio.

SekondThought
"Computers are cool, but hardware rules".