Help! Cannot save project. File not found

Forum for MV-8000/8800
fonkydjme

Help! Cannot save project. File not found

Post by fonkydjme »

Hi,
got a second hand MV-8800. The problem is that I cannot save a project. Trying to save, I get the message ' File not found' .
What I've done so far is
- watch the turbostart by Mike Acosta on Youtube and repeat every step. Then I can't save: 'file not found'. Also following the save-instruction in the manual.
- tried to, just use an chopped up audio loop, which I extracted from an audio-cd using the internal cd-drive. so no instruments from the disklibrary...same error
- or just one midi-track with an instrument..same error
or just one audio-track with recorded audio...same error
- what I could do, was record straight to harddisk. I could then access it on my mac via usb, and save the file on my desktop. So writing to the internal haddisk is working.

The supplier who deals in new and second-hand pro-audio has done the following: Because the previous user added or delete some patches from the library, he reloaded the library to the disk. Which method he used, I don't know.

The disk/usb-button and after 'file-utility' shows the following files:
O SYSTEM .MVO 1kb
O PATCHES
O MIXDOWNTR
0 TRASHES (wasn't there first, but appeared after I recorded audio I think. But when not there I still got the same error
- (submap) .- .Tra 4kb
- (submap) .DS-Store
O MV8800_V101

Help would be very welcome! I think I love this thing: the feel, the buttons (I love buttons!) , menu's. It's my first hardware-sampler and think this is it! I don't like using a mouse and looking at a computerscreen all the time. Two years ago I switched from hardware to software, but totally bummed me.
fonkydjme

Re: Help! Cannot save project. File not found

Post by fonkydjme »

Found the problem. Just placed this comment to a mv-user's youtubemovie:

Damn you made me happy! After hours and hours trying to save a project, your video saved my day! I just got a second hand mv today, and tried saving little midi or audio or midi/audio projects, but every time i got the message: file not found. What? What file damn damn damn....
Then I saw your video and noticed...... a folder called PROJECTS!!!!! ...okay, so that was the file.......... Previous owner probably deleted it because he didn't want me to steal his work!
Thanx! from Leiden, Holland

Placing this so if other people have this problem, they can google it. I couldn't find anything.
Oh, and also create a folder (via disk/usb... file utility...) with the name USER while you're at it.

Greetings from Keytown
Know1

Post by Know1 »

Hey it's been a while since I've been on this forum glad to see you found an answer to your problem.

I just wanted to mention something. It's obvious that you're using a mac because of the files that appeared on the drive. You know the trashes and the .ds store.

You can get a freeware app for the Mac that will prevent it from creating .ds store files. It's called SECRETS. It's a system utility that you can use to make many custom changes to your Mac. You don't see these files on your Mac because they begin with a period (.) . Those files are invisible on a Mac.

Also it's important to note that you should NEVER have windows media player open if you are going to connect to a PC. IT WILL FUNK YOUR MV UP. There's supposed to be some type of apps that will index your drive on the Mac too but I haven't heard of it happening to anyone. Just PC users.
fonkydjme

Post by fonkydjme »

Thanx! I'll check that secrets. So far I haven't had a problem with thos files, but better gone.
I've read about the mediaplayer, but then again; why would I want to use windowsapps on my mac? Okay, I use Word... I'm not an applefreak. I don't have a shrine with the picture of Steve Gobbs or whatever his name is.
Later
JohnOG

Re:FONKYDJME inhollandTOO, mv 8800,,,got file probs help

Post by JohnOG »

fonkydjme wrote:Found the problem. Just placed this comment to a mv-user's youtubemovie:

Damn you made me happy! After hours and hours trying to save a project, your video saved my day! I just got a second hand mv today, and tried saving little midi or audio or midi/audio projects, but every time i got the message: file not found. What? What file damn damn damn....
Then I saw your video and noticed...... a folder called PROJECTS!!!!! ...okay, so that was the file.......... Previous owner probably deleted it because he didn't want me to steal his work!
Thanx! from Leiden, Holland

Placing this so if other people have this problem, they can google it. I couldn't find anything.
Oh, and also create a folder (via disk/usb... file utility...) with the name USER while you're at it.

Greetings from Keytown

hey man also in Holland now from usa, im also a new mv user,,, got it secoundhand for 800euro! everything was great till i hooked it to the pc! now i lost all my projects en all folders have nothin in them!!! im sooo mad!!i only wanted to put some new wave files in it... en now this..i made a new folder to put the files in. en when i was doing the transfer. a file was currupt! so it stopped. now i cannot access any folders thru my pc or thu pc to my mv drive.. i saw a tutorial on how to do this,, en after the prob, i found out also bout the windows media prob too! now song screen is blue en the pattern purple, on vga mode i cannot see the top of the screen now!!! in either mode!!! im really in over my head here..please help. or maybe we can get up en help eachother out. we both in holland.. thanks John OG
JohnOG

Re: Help!!! currupted my mv8800 drive..

Post by JohnOG »

I THINK I FUNKED UP MY MV DRIVE, I HAVE WINDOWS MEDIA!!! found out after!!! cant see the top of my screen now.. lost all files!! its a nihgtmare!!! man im also in Holland now from usa, im also a new mv user,,, got it secoundhand for 800euro! everything was great till i hooked it to the pc! now i lost all my projects en all folders have nothin in them!!! im sooo mad!!i only wanted to put some new wave files in it... en now this..i made a new folder to put the files in. en when i was doing the transfer. a file was currupt! so it stopped. now i cannot access any folders thru my pc or thu pc to my mv drive.. i saw a tutorial on how to do this,, en after the prob, i found out also bout the windows media prob too! now song screen is blue en the pattern purple, on vga mode i cannot see the top of the screen now!!! in either mode!!! im really in over my head here..please help. or maybe we can get up en help eachother out. we both in holland.. thanks John OG turntablist...
JohnOG

nightmare..
Bighare

Post by Bighare »

There maybe some advice here:-

http://mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13691

Hope it helps.

Edit:
That link above will help with project recovery… removing the hard drive and reading it /copying it making ‘dummy’ projects on the mv to copy back and recover your own projects.
But I now realize you describe things happening to your screen placement and colour? That is not related to the Media player problem… that must be something else?