Amp and speaker connection?

Forum for MV-8000/8800
towlie

Amp and speaker connection?

Post by towlie »

Hi i am about to purchase the MV 8800 but i was just wondering if i can connect my existing amplifier and speakers to the unit? it's an ordinary amp with floor standing speakers connected (not active or powered).

Some help would be great.

Thanks
NNITRED

Re: Amp and speaker connection?

Post by NNITRED »

Into a receiver or integrated amp - Hook it up the same as CD player, DJ mixer , or any other line level device. Any input other than PHONO will do just fine. You may need a 1/4 to RCA adapter or cables if you don't have them.
towlie

Post by towlie »

Thanks very much for the reply. I will get an adapter in that case.

Thanks agian!
boyaka2000

Post by boyaka2000 »

Buy some powered monitors ideally.
NNITRED

Post by NNITRED »

The 'monitor' and 'speaker' are used interchangeably depending on who you're trying to sell them to. Nearfield monitors are simply bookshelf speakers used in a studio environment. Powered speakers are just speakers with an strapped to it. Low cost sub-1K monitors are usually inferior to a similar configured home speaker in the same price range coupled with a decent power amp.. Almost all of it is marketing in the entry level range. While many sound good very few if any are flat or anything close to it in the real world. It's not the major upgrade most think it is.
NNITRED

Post by NNITRED »

duplicate-seleted
boyaka2000

Post by boyaka2000 »

NNITRED - I kind of agree with what you're saying, but even at entry level a pair of powered studio monitors will give a flatter response than some home speakers and home amp - as the home hi-fi amp will DEFINITLEY add 'flavours' that you dont want in a studio - they sound very warm in my opinion. Which is great when you're listening to music, but not so great for making it.
NNITRED

Post by NNITRED »

He just wants to hear his MV. No need to drop any cash on a chinese boombox. ;0)
boyaka2000

Post by boyaka2000 »

Or he could simply spend a couple of hundred pounds on some entry level powered studio speakers and then he'll be at least hearing correctly what he is making....
boyaka2000

Post by boyaka2000 »

Or he could simply spend a couple of hundred pounds on some entry level powered studio speakers and then he'll be at least hearing correctly what he is making....