Mv verse Fantom g

Forum for MV-8000/8800
fantomDD

Mv verse Fantom g

Post by fantomDD »

I was considering buying the Mv-8800 and I currently own a fantom g-6// Would it be silly to purchase this product considering the large range of similar things available in the g?? Obviously there are some differences but I was just concerned a lot of the drum stuff and synths in the MV would just sound like the ones in the fantom. ANy input ? Thanks!!
Know1

Re: Mv verse Fantom g

Post by Know1 »

They are 2 totally different machines.

The factory sound sets are different. Plus you can put whatever you want in your MV, it's a sampler. So the factory sounds alone should not be any reason to purchase one.

I don't own a Fantom but I've used an X6. I personally found the work flow on the MV much smoother.
I AM

Post by I AM »

if you're happy with the workflow on your fantom, then MV is not the best investment...

the main advantage of MV is the workflow,
otherwise " factory sounds alone should not be any reason to purchase one. " (c)

send your money to greenpeace ;)
boyaka2000

Post by boyaka2000 »

Depends what youre into..

If you fancy yourself and the next vangelis or whatever, or you want to make AWFUL sounding music that all sounds like Dr Dre or other Triton/Fantom based ish, then keep the Fantom.

If you want to make decent beat and sample based stuff, then sell the Fantom and buy an MPC.

I bought an MV8800 and I spend half my time wishing Id gone MPC....
jukeboxjoe

Post by jukeboxjoe »

At the risk of stating the obvious, let me boil down for you the single biggest difference:

Fantom G:
built in keyboard

MV:
no built in keyboard!

In my case, I already had and loved my Yamaha CP33, so I went the MV route, and in the process I did get 3 things that the Fantom does not have:

(1) fader automation
(2) more portability
(3) better (IMO) workflow. The interface on the Fantom is more modern (I love it, by the way), but the simpler unixy-look of the MV is also quite appealing when you get used to that look too. But the larger pads and more dedicated sequencer-oriented buttons give the MV a workflow edge.

That being said, if you don't put alot of weight in fader automation (warning: once you get used to it, good luck going away from it!) and especially if you need a keyboard, the Fantom might be the better choice for you.