Help with MV8000 Freeze Issue

Forum for MV-8000/8800
mr_synth

Help with MV8000 Freeze Issue

Post by mr_synth »

I already asked on the MV8000 "Home of the Evolution" forum but nobody offered to help. I'm hoping someone here can assist me...

I recently purchased an MV-8000 that freezes when playing back any project. Sometimes it will freeze within the first few minutes of playing back and sometimes it will freeze after 30min. or so of just looping the song, but it will eventually freeze every time. All buttons are inoperative and requires restart. Just to be sure this issue isn't due to my projects or samples, I have been only loading the Roland factory projects for the MV-8000 from the factory CD's. Again, it doesn't matter what the project is, it will freeze even with any of the factory default projects from the original CD's.

I have tried the following without any success...

-Tried replacing factory stock 128MB DIMM with two different brands of DIMM (crucial, PNY). (made sure they were the correct DIMM spcecs)-All pass the DIMM diagnostic test
-Reformatted original hard drive
-Initialized System
-Swapped out original hard drive for new one.
-Reloaded OS3.54
-Tried OS3.52
-Reseated all cables

Nothing seems to resolve the freezing issue

I did find something interesting while doing the menu+F3 diagnostic tests. All the tests pass "OK" (including DIMM) except the SDRAM which shows "NG". HOWEVER...if I remove the DIMM stick entirely and do the tests again. SDRAM passes "OK".

I was hoping someone can do me a favor and run the diagnostic tests on their machine to see what results you are getting? I Just want to see what results you get on a MV8000 with no issues.

If someone with an MV8000 could do the following I would really appreciate it...

1. Start up the MV8000 while holding the "Menu" and "F3" button to enter diagnostic mode

2. Highlight "Device Auto Check" and hit "Execute"

3. Let the test run and record the results for both the "SDRAM" and "DIMM" field.

Again my results are as follows:

With DIMM installed:
SDRAM NG
DIMM OK

Without DIMM installed:
SDRAM OK
DIMM NG (obviously as there is no DIMM installed)

Any help appreciated.
wudsiba

Re: Help with MV8000 Freeze Issue

Post by wudsiba »

I just ran this test on my 8800. I have the original 128 mb ram that comes standard, and everything came out with an OK reading. Hard to imagine what could be wrong, since you've already tried different Dimms. Did you try calling Roland? Deffinately worth trying. Especially since you have already ran a diagnostics on it. Where did you learn this?

One other thing... When I ran my diagnostic, everything came out OK but the ps 2. The 8800 has the vga and mouse adapter stock, but I do not have a mouse. I'm hoping this just means that there is no mouse plugged in. Anyways, if you have the vga/mouse adapter unplug the mouse and run a diagnostic. If the ps 2 section says NG, then that must be all it is. I should be getting a mouse within the week, but stuff like this always bothers me.
Good luck, and let me know what happens
Know1

Re: Help with MV8000 Freeze Issue

Post by Know1 »

Are you striking any pads when it freezes?

Do you have the latest OS update?

Have you connected it to a Windows PC without disabling Windows Media Player?