MV Prices...

Forum for MV-8000/8800
canefire

MV Prices...

Post by canefire »

Do you MV users have a clue as to why this piece of gear has fallen so much in the used market?
I already own roland vs records but I am interested in getting one of these samplers since I am seeing them for $500.
If you MV 8000/8800 users can answer these questions I would appreciate it...

1) I know it has a different PPQ than the Akai equivalent. Have any of you noticed that to be a hindrance or is it really not a big deal if you don't use quantize?
2) In your honest opinion, is it overkil to have a fantom S(or X), a digital recorder like a roland vs 2000, 2400 or 2480, and then also have a MV? will it do anything different?
3) Is $500 a great deal or will I end up frustrated because it doesn't have the digital input and multiple out expansion? I would be willing to settle for the MV8000 as long as it has a vga option instead of the MV8800 but how does you work flow seem to be impacted without the mv8-op1?

Cheers,
Ian Canefire

PS "I tried getting getting into MVNAtion but no response."

Mixchpelted Records LLC
V-synth, VS2000, Korg Radias, Fantom S, Sonic Cell, Yamaha AN200, Yamaha SU700, Yamaha A4000, Akai Z4, Pioneer RT909, guitars, amps, turntables, mixers, congas, bata, djembe.
B.Murphey

Re: MV Prices...

Post by B.Murphey »

The likelihood of anyone being able to play beyond the capabilities of 480PPQN is pretty low. That's why all of the workstations from Yamaha , Korg, and Roland level off at at 480.

I would get the 8800 to take advantage of the added OS features and to avoid hunting for VGA card that adds another $300 in today's market.
paynestreet

Post by paynestreet »

I might be due to the software/hardware controllers, however i bought my mv for 430 on ebay the only problem i had with it was the guy didnt pack it up that good so the hard drive got damaged but i already had the factory preset patches for so i got up and running in no time. I like my MV 8000 alot and i also have had an Mpc 2000xl and mpc 1000. all are good machines its just what u wanna use.
canefire

Post by canefire »

hey paynestreet, Do you use the MV as a master? Do you notice any midi jitter?
Cheers,
Ian
rolandchamp

Post by rolandchamp »

Cane, you won't be dissapointed likely.

MV + Fantom is ok because Fantom pretty much sucks at samples, it's best at rompler stuff.

Then the third benefit is the MV-VASynth mode, which sounds really really dope.

MV IMO is one of the best sequencer around for hardware... so many good things the list goes on...

Hell, for $500 it's a value only for sequencer and midi trigger pad!
canefire

Post by canefire »

I got an Akai MPC4000 for $500. I just finished reading the manual and I am going to start really using it this weekend. I am very impressed with the MPC4000 from what I am reading. Once I load it with samples it is going to be as powerful as my Fantom S. Now I see why pads are everywhere. It is easier to do drums on them. The Fantoms pads are too stiff. In any case I will be controlling everything from my Akai sequencer.
Life is good.

Ian
Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin »

So, being a new owner of an MV-8800, I'll comment on current eBay prices as of September 2014:

MV-8000 current is anywhere from $300 - $999 depending on if it is maxed out with memory and 6 out expander + VGA out

MV-8800 is anywhere from $400-$1350 still. I just bought mine for $530 which I thought fair. It is in very good shape and a little cleaning went a long way to looking new. New mpcstuff pads, new 160GB drive, custom designed styleflip skin, already had 1GB RAM but bought a 512 MB stick I'm waiting on the mail for as I heard sometimes you will have issues with projects exceeding 512 anyway, so might change it or might not but will have option to change immediately if I need to. I also bought a new DVD/CD-Writer that's on its way. The Panasonic model 770 as suggested on mvnation.

A thorough cleaning and it looks great. New MPCSuff.com blue pads respond nice and using global pad setting for light sensitivity, this thing has amazing response and feel while playing.

Got the MV Kit Creator Pro software too and last 13 years have collected a nice sample collection of over 70 GB of various House, Trance, EDM, Industrial, Hip Hop, DnB, Rock, Electro, World, etc, with 24 GB of those 70 GB of samples being specifically Dubstep, Chillstep, Liquid Dubstep, Psytrance Dub, and newer styles.

These things are beasts! Performance is not bad for hardware. I basically got tired of updates screwing with drivers on my controllers and have so much other hardware hooked up, I needed something with less hassle.

Have been multitracking with various software solutions since 2000. I do a lot of stuff on my iPad too with my Korg padKontrol. Nice to get back to focus on just one machine or even the MV with my Venom, Blofeld, Minibrute, and my modular Salamander Synth.

I have other hardware not being used much now also. RM1X, Zoom ST-224, Roland SH-32
Vondragonnoggin

I guess the drawback of buying used equipment that's 7+ years old is the forums aren't moving quite like they used to when it was the hot item. Parts are cheap too though now. Got a 160gb drive for $95 and one of the Panasonic UDJA770's for $15 brand new. Still a nice youtube vid on replacing it. Been reading mvnation forums too even though it seems you can't register. Emailed support for Roland on original patches and content and they were really helpful. Should be getting that stuff soon too. It's sure is a great sounding sampler. Love the sequencing options. Those skins are kind of difficult to put on perfect though. Got mine near perfect and it looks cool. New pads are nice and was an easy replacement. Got a bundle of sample dvd's coming in mv format too. Hooked up my venom synth as a controller for keyboard playing and it was instantly recognized. Nice. So much to learn and so limited on time. Wish I had a nice two week vacation to really dig into it. I have to say though, I never used a real mpc before. Just the iPad version. No re-learning the mv, so no comparison really. It's actually not been too difficult to learn how to build a basic pattern and some basic bass synth presets.

eBay has these for great prices now.
Vondragonnoggin

Roland sent me original patches. Very cool of them. Also grabbed a nice batch file format converter called Switch that let's me take all my recently purchased 24 bit samples and quick convert to 16 bit 44.1 KHz and keeps folder structure copying. Also Normalizes and a few other tricks while converting. Noticed preview of samples was flaky with 24 bit, but all 16 bit previewed fine.