File copy utility?

Forum for MV-8000/8800
ScottLoiselle

File copy utility?

Post by ScottLoiselle »

Hi folks, I am wondering whether or not the file copy utility will copy from a CDROM to the hard drive? I have some ROland S7xx format CDROMS that load fine into a project library, but so far haven't been able to suss out how to just copy a patch from the CD to the HD. If anyone knows, even if the answer is "it won't do that", I'd appreciate it.

As to the recent threads about the MV itself, I've been finding myself slowly reintegrating hardware-based sequencing into my workflow, which is actually how I started back in the mid 80s, before going to an Atari 1040ST with Hybrid Arts software around 1988. The next lines are actually about using the MV, even though it might not immediately seem that way. I have a fair amount of gear, and teach MIDI and electronic music/synthesis at a college (meaning I should, in theory, be at least reasonably competent to deal with computer-based sequencing) - but I've been having *lots* of issues both in my own studio and in the EM lab at school with MIDI on computers. No platform wars please, but I've been a Mac guy since around 92, and they've been pretty good - up until recently. I think the Core MIDI driver is broken, getting lots of stuck notes/issues, and that is with multiple machines, interfaces and software. And an overall sense that the MIDI timing often SUCKS these days on computers. And I'm reading in forums that I'm not alone. THE POINT being that while many folks obviously have no problems with USB, there are other folks (always, it seems, using lots of external hardware) that are having problems or even nightmares with USB. As this is an MV forum, I'll get back specifically on topic, but I could describe many other issues using computers.

So here's (finally) MY POINT - even though the MV is obviously limited when compared to, say, DP or Logic Pro ON PAPER, when I am actuallly using the gear, it becomes a different situation. I stop worrying about or being pissed off about what the MV *won't* do, and focus on what it will do. And that is work consistently, with no crashes or stuck notes, and (a big one for me), rock-solid timing.

I have a 3-way system at home with the MV, a Fantom G, a modular, some other keyboards and rack synths, and a Mc running DP, all networked using 2 MTPs (16x16) - so it's "3 way" in that I can load a preset into the MTPs that make either the MV, the Fantom, or the Mac be the overall master - and I find that in spite of the limitations the MV has compared to the Fantm, or especially DP, it's so fast and easy to work with that I've starting to slowly use it more and more as the master. Ive even turned the computer off sometimes, interesting on how that feels, given that it is the we all used to make music.

So who knows, maybe with how far the prices are coming down, we may see a resurgence of MV'ers, and the forum might actually wake up a bit.

Regards, Scott