I can't see all of my projects in project list ?

Forum for MV-8000/8800
Dharma1992

I can't see all of my projects in project list ?

Post by Dharma1992 »

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I have tried to access mvnation but unfortunately it's dead now. I had an episode with windows 8 being unable to hook up with my mv 8000. I clicked 'DISK/USB' button on my MV 8000 and tried to link via USB with my pc. Roland freezed then my pc, so I've simply restarted both devices. Roland seemed to be ok, my computer prompted a critical error screen. However, that is a different story. What I've noticed after some time is that not every project that I've made on my mv 8000 is listed in the project list menu. When I enter "Project" > "Load project" then a proper list is shown to me but some beats that I've made are gone. When I've tried to hook my mv again to pc via usb I've accessed folders on mv 8000 hard drive and saw all project files, wav files etc. being there. It seems that physically everything is still on my hard drive but somehow the PROJLIST.MV0 file which contains all projects is corrupted. Does anyone know how I can repair the project list so that it shows again all projects I've ever made on my mv 8000 ?

Thanks in advance :)
conecthink

Re: I can't see all of my projects in project list ?

Post by conecthink »

What I would do in this instance is upgrade/reinstall the firmware. get the MV-8000 System Update Version 3.54 from rolandus and follow the easy to follow instructions from the readme pdf thats included in the download package.

this is without knowing your specific problem. maybe there is another fix
Soul One

Post by Soul One »

Besides that, don´t forget to do regular backups.
Dharma1992

Post by Dharma1992 »

Hi thanks for the info. I'll try that. But before I would like to ask you:

1.How to backup my all projects so that everything is safe ?
2.How to place all projects back so that they are visible upon firmware re-install?
conecthink

Post by conecthink »

im kinda new to the MV myself so im a bit hesistant to say this but a firmware update shouldnt put your projects in any danger. ive read somewhere that the firmware is written to a different memory than the harddisk although you do have to put the mvprog file on the disk first. Theres no need to take all the projects out and put them back in but yeah a backup might be usefull and on the safe side since your machine is having some problems already.

better wait untill someone more knowledgable drops by.
JUKE179r

Post by JUKE179r »

Your projects will not be in danger. I've done this on 5 different MV's... BUT... back up everything just for fucks sake. :-)

For the MV-8000 and MV-8800 OS update...
1. Connect the MV to your computer via a USB cable.
2. Press [DISK/USB].
3. Press [F3 (USB)].
4. Press [F5 (Connect)].
The message “Save Project?” appears.
5. Press [F1 (No)].
On a Mac, the MV’s hard drive appears on the desktop.
On a PC, the MV’s hard drive appears inside “My Computer”.
6. Drag the !le “MV8X00.PRG” to the MV’s hard disk. Do not place it inside any other folder.
7. Once the file has been transferred, eject the MV’s drive from your computer.
On a Mac, drag the MV hard drive to the trash.
On a PC, right-click on the MV hard drive and select “Eject”.
8. Shut down the MV.
9. While holding [SONG] and [DISK/USB], turn the MV back on. Hold the buttons until the following screen appears:
Roland MV-8X00 PRODUCTION STUDIO ** HD Update Mode **
IMPORTANT: Never shut down the MV while the update is in process.
When the update has been completed, the version number will
be displayed and all LEDs will flash.
10. Restart the MV.
11. Make some fuckin beats.

And then...
Soul One wrote:Besides that, don´t forget to do regular backups.
Dharma1992

Post by Dharma1992 »

My god, thanks to all of you for support and comprehensive guide :D I missed my baby like hell. Mpc 2000xl is fun to use but limited and I'm always afraid that screen will die just like on my 2000 classic. Now the king will be back :D

EDIT: Projects reside only in 'PROJECTS' folder or are there other folders that are strictly connected and also need to be backed up ? :) I see that my MV have created some mess inside folders. Cause often the same folder is within another with the same name so imagine : Projects>you see a list of all your projects + another 'Projects' folder>when you access that another 'Projects' folder you see another 'Projects' folder, and so on.

I guess this is why each time I was clicking F6 'Create new project' in projects menu on MV it took ages to create a new one. How to safely clean this up ?