sequencer

Forum for MV-8000/8800
curtisdog1

sequencer

Post by curtisdog1 »

Hi I'm still looking at a used mv8000 will it load and play back smf? If so how many songs will it hold. I have used a fantom s as a playback sequencer live will the mv 8000 do this? thanks
Soul One

Re: sequencer

Post by Soul One »

Yes, you can import SMF files. You have the choice to either import them as/into patterns or songs. An MV project can hold 16 songs and up to 500 patterns.
Jay P80

Post by Jay P80 »

I never bother using the Song mode,as I always sequence external midi gear so never utilise the Audio tracks If you Import SMFiles into the Pattern mode your not restricted to just being able to load 16 songs,each pattern in the MV8800 can be a whole song in itself.

Using the Pattern mode to import Midifiles I've actually had 45 Songs at one time never tried loading anymore so not sure how many it would typically hold this was Midi data only as my sound sources are external midi devices anyway so its only midi events obviously the differences are that Pattern Mode uses 64 midi tracks and song mode has 128+ 1 pattern track(made up from the 64)which gives you a fair amount of tracks to sequence with and more audio tracks but I very rarely exceed the 64 midi tracks anyway so prefer to use Pattern mode to sequence linearly but if you require more or want to chain patterns together to create a full track then song mode is your friend.

I found using Pattern mode far better for firing up the songs in the set list too,as i could have 16 songs within a bank of pads so as soon as one song finished i simply triggered the pad(pattern) for the next song in sequence for gigs.

A pattern can be up to 999 measures so your only limited by the amount of Midi events the MV can hold when importing all your SMF into pattern mode when it can hold up to 500 patterns in memory(dependant on Midi events in each song)
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

I'm curious if in song mode you can trigger patterns externally with either a midi foot controller or keyboard. Thus I could record 16 different patterns and trigger them remotely with the FC-200 for example. My hands are too busy to reach over and hit the pads for changing patterns. Does this seem possible? Thanks.
Jay P80

Post by Jay P80 »

Ricoche wrote:I'm curious if in song mode you can trigger patterns externally with either a midi foot controller or keyboard. Thus I could record 16 different patterns and trigger them remotely with the FC-200 for example. My hands are too busy to reach over and hit the pads for changing patterns. Does this seem possible? Thanks.

Not tried that myself in song mode but can't see why it shouldn't be possible,certainly in pattern mode each pad(pattern) is assigned to a midi note number so you can trigger patterns from an external midi device using note triggers like an external Keyboard or something similar

I can remember using a Korg padKontrol many moons ago to trigger patterns in the Pattern Mode,you'd have to configure your External midi controller to assign note numbers to its controls,according to which patterns you want to tigger,You can trigger patterns in realtime in song mode from the MV pads but not sure if its possible from an external Device or whether it only possible from the MV pads Itself,I'm not next to my MV at the moment to confirm this but will try this later on when I'm home.
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

Jay P80 wrote:
Not tried that myself in song mode but can't see why it shouldn't be possible,certainly in pattern mode each pad(pattern) is assigned to a midi note number so you can trigger patterns from an external midi device using note triggers like an external Keyboard or something similar
Perfect! That will work great in pattern mode. Will give it a try.

Thanks!!