Stop button stopped working properly :(

Forum for MV-8000/8800
JUKE179r

Re: Stop button stopped working properly :(

Post by JUKE179r »

Like Soul one stated, the MV Tact Switches are no longer available.
The tact switches that are needed for the MV are OMRON part #B3F-6022 which is a 6mm x 6mm x 5mm / Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) / 2 leads.
The only difference is that these tact switches are square where the MV tacts are circular but still work the same.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... -B3F-60223

These are the 2 lead tact switches that I used on my MPC3000LE and can be used on the MV...

These are the 4 lead tact switches used on ASR-10, MPC2000, 2000XL, 4000, 2500 & 1000....
conecthink

Post by conecthink »

HattyDamp wrote:Hi everyone...i am a new user here.As per my knowledge the circuitboard with the transport buttons is kinda trapped beneath the fan compartment and the motherboard. no way you can do anything from this state of the machine.The way I see it you have to do close to a complete disasembly of the mv to get to that button comfortable my strategy to get there still unknown.
you could actually pull the transport buttons of the switches with just a little bit of force (a cloth to protect the button and pliers for example) from the front of the machine without disassembling anything and give it a treatment with a contact spray if you wish. you take some fluid that you cant wipe from the board for granted then..

I noticed that after I disassembled everything :-) theres nothing trapping the buttons they just come of the switch and you have access. Now with me deoxit didnt work and made it worse (it screwed up buttons that had little to no problem) I would try it like that though if a button seems completely lost.

to conclude for the topic..i got some new switches. the transport switches are different from the ones juke showed (those switches are present everywhere else though) and I got my solder game up and did it myself and all of them are working fine now..

now that i think about it...i still have the old ones that had the weird reaction to the deoxit. I think I might cut one open to see what happened
O.B.I.T.

Post by O.B.I.T. »

what switches did you get, I need to replace mine
gr00ve

Post by gr00ve »

Bump. also need to replace.
goop

Post by goop »

The transport buttons are Alps part SKECAFA010

They are obsolete and disconitued most places.

If you find a source for them or a substitue part please share it here.
tedi

Post by tedi »

Did anyone try using this one?

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/alps-e ... 14687.html

Seems pretty much the same size and shape...
Soul One

Post by Soul One »

I think I understand now why Deoxit D5 ruins the transport switches. D5 contains a solvent which can wash away carbon layers.
To restore the switches you want a remote control repair kit like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMOTE-CONTROL ... Sw44BYCkjZ
fixinpcs303

Post by fixinpcs303 »

20190625_162205.jpg
20190625_162205.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 8456 times
Soul One wrote: Unfortunately the original switches (made by ALPS; part number is SKECAFA010) were discontinued a long time ago. I´ve looked for them a couple of times online to no avail.

ALPS themselves don´t have a direct replacement, only ones that are similar in specs but with different measurements. Plus the top of the newer ones is different, so the buttons won´t fit.
Sorry to dig up old thread, but just in case...
You can repair the original alps switches
I am trying to attach a picture here.

This is pretty tricky to do
Use a small (2 or 3mm) flat blade screwdriver to carefully bend out the black plastic frame on the bottom left and top right of the switch frame so the 2 catches on the button shaft clear the frame

****Do not snap the button frame!!!!****

the center gray part then lifts out

underneath is the rubber dome actuator for the switch

Use a toothpick or fine tweezers to remove the actuator dome

*** be careful, the actuator is tiny and very easy to lose.****

Clean out any dust and grime within the switch body and clean any residue off the gold contacts in the bottom of the switch. Be careful not to damage those contacts as they are very fine.

Put the actuator back in, use toothpick again to get it centered and leveled

Push the switch shaft back in and reassemble your MV
20190625_162205.jpg
20190625_162205.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 8456 times
This should get the transport buttons back up and running.

Unfortunately the alps switches are practically impossible to buy now and Roland no longer sells ANY replacement parts to end users ever!!!
fixinpcs303

Post by fixinpcs303 »

tedi wrote:Did anyone try using this one?

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/alps-e ... 14687.html

Seems pretty much the same size and shape...
yep! those SKEG parts are 6mmx6mm the SKEC is 8mmx8mm with 10mm hole spacing on the PCB, so they will not fit.

The only possibility of replacement i could figure is to get a 8mmx8mm illuminated tact switch, remove the LED and somehow connect the button terminals to the LED pins which would have the correct spacing. This wouldn't be an easy fix.

It would be easier to get replacement parts out of roland than to attempt this switch swap.

I just tore apart one of the SKEG switches, it appears to use the same actuator dome as the SKECAFA010 original! If it matches and the problem on the original switch is worn actuator carbon, this may provide for an even better fix for MV8000 transport buttons.

SKEGACA010 picture attached
Attachments
20190625_183535.jpg
20190625_183535.jpg (158.23 KiB) Viewed 8452 times
jdhighberg

Post by jdhighberg »

All -

After some searching the internet and comparing original switch physical dimensions and mechanical features in my MV-8000, I have confirmed the the Transport Switch Parts can be purchased from http://www.synth-parts.com, as follows:

https://www.synth-parts.com/en/products ... m-kec10010

I ordered 4 switches and replaced on my MV-8000. They fit mechanically exactly (NO button plastics modification required). I unsoldered old and soldered in replacement switches (may have to use lead free solder). Currently, these replacements switches are working great.

John
arp70blue

Post by arp70blue »

Hi,

I am a bit late to the MV8000 party but Stop button is playing up. Thank you to those posters above for helping me out. I just ordered replacement switches.

Cheers 🍻
conecthink

Post by conecthink »

Soul One wrote: 10:27, 15 April 2019 I think I understand now why Deoxit D5 ruins the transport switches. D5 contains a solvent which can wash away carbon layers.
To restore the switches you want a remote control repair kit like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMOTE-CONTROL ... Sw44BYCkjZ
yeah even though its years later now... that was rather unfortunate. didnt matter too much since one switch was definitly end of life and i had to do the disassembly anyway
Soul One

Post by Soul One »

conecthink wrote: 09:59, 28 October 2022
Soul One wrote: 10:27, 15 April 2019 I think I understand now why Deoxit D5 ruins the transport switches. D5 contains a solvent which can wash away carbon layers.
yeah even though its years later now... that was rather unfortunate. didnt matter too much since one switch was definitly end of life and i had to do the disassembly anyway
Alright, glad to hear that. I must admit that I felt bad for giving you the wrong advice.