Mv8000 bugged out :-(

Forum for MV-8000/8800
2ku______

Mv8000 bugged out :-(

Post by 2ku______ »

So, I turned my MV on a couple days ago after not using it for…idk, 6 months? It was originally being a powerhouse as usual, but when I came home from work the following day to vibe out it decided to die a slow death on me. It’s currently page hopping back and forth on its own, buttons only working when it decides to let me and no matter how I start it up or load a session it gives me the same problems. I’m hoping somebody has maybe had a similar issue and been able to resolve? I was thinking maybe dust on the board…similar to how the faders do that weird glitchy thing? Help me Mv8000 gurus, your my only hope.

Oh yeah running latest firmware, might re installing the firmware resolve the issue? Peace
devonrose

Re: Mv8000 bugged out :-(

Post by devonrose »

2ku______ wrote: 07:34, 12 August 2023 So, I turned my MV on a couple days ago after not using it for…idk, 6 months? It was originally being a powerhouse as usual, but when I came home from work the following day to vibe out it decided to die a slow death on me. It’s currently page hopping back and forth on its own, buttons only working when it decides to let me and no matter how I start it up or load a session it gives me the same problems. I’m hoping somebody has maybe had a similar issue and been able to resolve? I was thinking maybe dust on the board…similar to how the faders do that weird glitchy thing? Help me Mv8000 gurus, your my only hope.

Oh yeah running latest firmware, might re installing the firmware resolve the issue? Peace
  • Have you or any of the previous owner(s) ever spill anything on it before? It's sort of sounding like something is shorting between some connections (re: page hopping).
  • Does the behaviour change with how long the device is powered on?
However, it's also possible it's a problem with the electronics too. I'm not sure if they use those tiny surface mount capacitors which have a very short lifespan, but say if one of them is starting to go it could exhibit something similar to unpredictable behaviour with a cluster of buttons and functions like that.
2ku______

Post by 2ku______ »

Thanks for reaching out!

I myself have owned the MV for a number of years now, and never spilled anything on it so I would hedge my bet on it that not being the issue, but it has definitely acquired more than a fair share of dust? I’m gonna dedicate some time next weekend to opening up and trying to clean what I can and see if I can notice anything untoward.

Funny you should mention that - It had been left on for a couple hours last night and lone behold when I jumped on it actually let me chop and get some rough drums down…probably somewhere in the region of 40 minutes before it started playing up again, but I did think that was kinda odd. What would be the significance?

Hopefully I can get locate somebody near by in the UK who is better equipped in that department to run some diagnostics. I’ve had so many good years with this machine I’m not ready to let go 😅

Appreciate the help!
devonrose

Post by devonrose »

2ku______ wrote: 19:30, 14 August 2023 Funny you should mention that - It had been left on for a couple hours last night and lone behold when I jumped on it actually let me chop and get some rough drums down…probably somewhere in the region of 40 minutes before it started playing up again, but I did think that was kinda odd. What would be the significance?
When passive components like capacitors are left on for longer periods of time it can sometimes help their behaviour if they're outputting out of spec values.

I think it's either a contact switch shorting out or a capacitor, but it will be interesting to know what the problem is.
Soul One

Post by Soul One »

We do have a lot of MV-8000 pcbs and parts in stock. Let me know if there is something you need!
40 Thieves

Post by 40 Thieves »

A friend sent me his bugged out MV and I got it to function properly at least all internally. When I turned it on it wouldn’t recognize the disk. Disk Error. I created a new project as it asked, it was buggy for sure. It wouldn’t make sound out of any of the outs, the pads wouldn’t respond, the global in setting was defaulted to coaxial even though it didn’t have the MV8-OP1 expansion card, it would also crash when trying to load user samples. So, I went into the file utility and deleted a lot of weird files in it. I then initialized it, restarted it, and it functioned better. When he hooked it up to his computer, an old HP, to transfer drum kits and samples from the internet, it put a bunch of weird files on there. I wish I took a picture but some of them had extensions like .db and 000 I think. One folder would crash the MV when I tried to look at it and when I deleted it took like 12gb off the hard drive. I think one of the files the HP wants to put on the MV is called System Navigation or something but it’s not the MV’s system file. The MV won’t let you delete its system file anyway. Also it puts a lot of ._ files on there after every drum kit when loaded from the Roland website. I first tried loading a drum kit from the MIDI instruments page and they wouldn’t sound on the instruments or sequence page. I then loaded a kit through the import page and all the drum kits started working on any page and I was able to record a loop with MIDI drums and Audio In with a keyboard. I would try going through and deleting all the weird files on there first and see what happens.

The MIDI in didn’t work on it still, I haven’t tested MIDI out, the cd drive don’t work, the pads work but the edit buttons on the side don’t work except the pad banks, and the headphones out don’t work. The main outs do. I only spent like 30 minutes with it trying to figure things out but it’s really dirty and beat up. I want to clean it, put in a spare hard drive I have, just try to factory restore it, put some pad sensors and pads I have on it, and see if I can get it as close to 100%.
40 Thieves

Post by 40 Thieves »

Update on my buggy MV.

Everything is pretty much working. At least to where I can use it. I replaced the CD Drive and it works now. I replaced the pads and sensors and they all work now. The MIDI always worked it was just backwards so the in was out. I switched them around. The headphone port is not working. I can replace at a later date. The stop, play, top, and track right buttons don’t work but I have the parts to fix those too. Hoping to just get a VGA adapter and not worry too much about that. It still will default to coaxial in on the global settings and can’t be changed by the dial. It will only go to analog after initializing. So that’s still a big but has a work around. I did format the hard drive, update to 3.54, install the factory patches from the website, and all seems well and fine. Audio in, out, and all MIDI functions work. We’re in business!

I hope this post helps anyone out who may have a buggy MV.