Any D2 Users here?

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
EJ2

Any D2 Users here?

Post by EJ2 »

Greetings all,
Amongst my collection of interesting pieces is my little orange beast - the D2 Groove Box. I haven't tried to integrate it with the Fantom S or V-Synth XT yet, but I'm curious if there are others here in RC who also own one of these neat boxes.
Cheers,
Eric

EJ2 - Double EJ Projects Karma Combis Sale - http://spaces.msn.com/members/EJ2/
EJ2

Re: Any D2 Users here?

Post by EJ2 »

No one???

EJ2 - Double EJ Projects Karma Combis Sale - http://spaces.msn.com/members/EJ2/
thenightgoat

Post by thenightgoat »

Count me in. I've had my D2 for about a week and I love working with it. I really don't see the problems with its interface (a common complaint about the D2). I just hook up a keyboard and sequence away. I really like tweaking my songs with the pad. I use this together with my MC-09 (another unfairly maligned product) and really don't need anything else for the music I'm creating (minimal electronic music influenced by horror music soundtracks ala JOhn Carpenter or Goblin).
Keys49

Post by Keys49 »

I have had the D2 for some time (years) and like the sequencing and many sounds. Its a good one.
boxgroove_man

Post by boxgroove_man »

Hi,

I am also a D2 user and love it!

It's an absolutely unique device and I never seem to fail coming up with something interesting and/or cool when I use it.

It also makes a great controller for my SH-32.

btw I just joined and this is my first post, so greetings all!
Keys49

Post by Keys49 »

Hello boxgroove and welcome to the site! yeah the D2 is a nice jem. I have never used the megamix or understood how to, since I am not into remixes much, it didnt suit me, the sequencer and sounds are nice.
boxgroove_man

Post by boxgroove_man »

I have played around with the megamix function, but I can't say I'm that impressed. It feels a bit 'shoehorned' into the D2, not least because the manual advises not to touch the D-Field in more than one place at a time, which would surely prevent two (or more) parts being launched simultaneously.

With so much innovation in this machine, from the D-Field to the superb way it handles step sequencing, it seems a bit strange why Roland would add a function that was so clearly designed for the more conventional 'boxes with the standard 16-button TR interface.

I'm not complaining - it's just a function I don't think I'll use - but I think Roland may have missed a trick or two here. They could have replaced it with at least one user-definable scale in the ad-lib mode, for instance...
Keys49

Post by Keys49 »

Yeah I wouldnt even know all that cos I never used it. I jut dived into the sequencer and putting the songs together. effects are nice and it is a nice groovebox as you know.

I wasn't impressed with the orange color at first but its grown on me. heheh. as someone said approaching this on its terms, the D2 is cool. they fazed it out rather quickly and now dont have anything for like this at all on this price level.
boxgroove_man

Post by boxgroove_man »

I like the colour, but then I was the weirdo who wanted a tangerine iMac back in the late 90's!

Discontinuing products too soon is a bit of a Roland disease, unfortunately. But then Roland are smaller than some of their competitors, especially the massive Yamaha, so they can't always keep a product in the line if it's not a commercial success within a year or two, sadly.
Gothboy

Post by Gothboy »

Sorry for joining this thread so late but I just registered and couldn't resist. I've had my D2 for around 4 years and still use it primarily as a sound module, though I've sequenced whole songs on it too. Don't let anyone tell you this thing is just a toy! One of my main niggles about the D2 though is the unfortunate inability to isolate measures or bars when using it's sequencer so you have to either bounce patterns in or add measures to your pattern and wait for the measure to be played back.....but the waiting is agony....! Does anyone know if there's a CC list for this thing and if it's possible to use automation to control the filter?
panicmerchant

Post by panicmerchant »

Yes I too would like to sing the praises of the D2. It can do so much more than many other boxes, and has a huge variety of sounds. If it had a little keyboard and card backup it would be perfect. I probably don't give it the attention it deserves because of this.
speedtribe

D2 vs 303/505/307

Post by speedtribe »

i keep seeing many D2 in the pawn shop.

it reminds me of rolands old version of korg kaoss pad..
i felt like trying to buy it just for fun since not so expensive.

but im wondering how good is D2 compared to the similar MC 303, 505, 307 ? which is the better deal??
panicmerchant

Post by panicmerchant »

That depends on the price... as always. Buy a D2 from the pawn shop and consider yourself lucky to have such an opportunity. I wish I had a pawn shop like yours nearby. If you don't like it .... sell it. Surely you wouldn't lose too much. I'm sure there are enough sounds and features in it too keep you happy,
deadbydawn

D2 POWER!!!

Post by deadbydawn »

I have had my D2 for about a year and am LOVING it!!! I use it in place of the MC-303 now which I still love but has seen better days...I too use it in conjunction with the SH-32 as well as the EF-303 and SP-808...I just love Roland gear!!! Groove Approved and highly used. As for some neat tricks I do use a controller programmed with various cc's to really make some on the fly alterations, as well as the pad of coarse.
djayhooker

Post by djayhooker »

Just got a d2, having to get used to rolands step sequencer though.
I'm used to the electribe mx which lists note number gate and cc numbers etc.
I'm not getting used to rolands step seq.

I love the tactile rubber buttons they are a joy to use. The sounds will have to be tweeked to death to destroy that ravy davey 90's hardcore element. Having been through the whole 90's rave seen..the last thing I want to hear is another hoover lol.

The arpeg is amazing as well as the sound quality.

I hate that you can't pan drums in the rhytm section seperately though ;(, and the fact that there all on one track, yes I know you can have the odd drum on the other tracks, but I need those for other sounds ;)

For the money is is a bargin...£80 off ebay ;)

Just as a sound module it is worth the money alone!