Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Scooby Doo

Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by Scooby Doo »

I contacted Roland support because I was having trouble saving projects to my USB flash drive (which is a SanDisk 4GB Cruizer Micro). Songs and samples would not save or I would get a "Memory Full" error message. This is the response from Roland:

Note that many common USB keys don't successfully save *samples* when performing a "Save Project As" command. This implies a incompatibility. Unfortunately, Roland Japan is only "officially" supporting our own 1GB M-UF1G USB flash drive; however, theoretically, keys 16GB and larger *should* work. Most, however, don't.

The acid test is whether or not a "Save Project As" saves samples to the key. If so, the drive works great. If not, it's incompatible.

Has anyone else found a USB flashdrive that works correctly other than the one that Roland recommends?
jessej

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by jessej »

All my Kingstons, Sandisks and Buffalos have worked, 1Gb, 2Gb and 4Gb. Also a few no-name USB sticks that my friends have brought with them have worked. No problems here.

The main one I use is a 4Gb Kingston Data Traveler.

What did you use to format the USB drive? PC, Mac, Linux or the Fantom G?
Scooby Doo

Which USB Jumpdrives work with the Fantom G?

Post by Scooby Doo »

I used the Fantom G to format my USB Jumpdrive. I did perform Roland's "acid test" and the jumpdrive failed accroding to their specifications so now I am trying to get the M-UF1G stick that they recommend but I need to order it from my dealer and it goes for $60.00. It also only holds 1gb.
keysme

Update!

Post by keysme »

I have two USB drives and both of them work fine with my Fantom G7 with a slight "caveat" on the 4GB Lightning drive - it works fine importing audio or .smf, etc. and you can save to the drive BUT (and that's a big BUT at that - it will not save all data from a project file (most notably "samples". The reason being since it is 4 GB it only formats in FAT32 and for some strange reason the Fantom G will only save sample data in FAT16 i.e. 2GB or smaller flash drives. Both of them are from Lexar. One is a Lexar 512MB JumpDrive PRO 2.0 and the other is a Lexar 4GB JumpDrive Lightning , with the latter having a super speedy transfer rate, hence the name "lightning". ;) If you decide to get a Lightning Drive get it online if possible, where you'll find a better deal then if you buy it from a local retail establishment. PS: There is still some debate whether a 2GB flash drive will work even though you can format it in FAT16. To be safe you may just want to get a 1 GB drive from a dependalbe manufacturer. Roland has stated firsthand that 1 GB flash drives will work for sure. If you get a compatible (from the right manufacturer) that is. ;)
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Get a Kingston one- since they are the ones making the Roland USB keys anyways. My 4GB works flawlessly in my Sonic Cell so it will work on the G.
The Audacity Works

Post by The Audacity Works »

If a few other people agree, I'll make this one a sticky. Good stuff.

I wonder why some drives will save some data but not others. Why might a drive save phrases, patches, and songs, but inexplicably ignore the saving of samples?

Ran into this issue myself (8GB drive). A generic 2GB drive (free from a tradeshow booth—not sure who makes it) worked just fine. Would create a new project on the key, but saving a song wouldn't save the samples. In fact, a sample folder wouldn't even be made within the project folder. Weird.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

My Kingston DT mini 4GB does NOT work.
billw

Post by billw »

My SanDisk Cruizer Micro 2GB does not work.

It's this model:

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10791919.jpg
NTulsa

SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2gb DOES WORK!

Post by NTulsa »

billw,

You scared me for second because that is the exact jumpstick that I use. I recorded an audio track, then saved the sample to the USB stick, finally turned the Fantom off and reloaded the sampe into an audio track. From what I can tell that specific SanDisk Cruzer Micro (2Gb) work well.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

My 1 GB Kingston drive works fine, and with a 1 GB Pleomax drive I get a 1-2 minute stall when I "save as" a project.
mr. claudio

Post by mr. claudio »

how about zip drives? any ACTUALLY try these yt?
billw

Post by billw »

SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2gb DOES WORK!
billw,

You scared me for second because that is the exact jumpstick that I use. I recorded an audio track, then saved the sample to the USB stick, finally turned the Fantom off and reloaded the sampe into an audio track. From what I can tell that specific SanDisk Cruzer Micro (2Gb) work well.
Glad you got it to work. I tried everything I could think of (including reformatting it in the Fantom). I couldn't consistently save/reload projects from it.
jessej

Post by jessej »

>how about zip drives? any ACTUALLY try these yt?

Claudio, if you still have zips lying around, connect that drive to your pc/mac and transfer the samples to an USB stick.
eyeball

Post by eyeball »

sony microvault 2 gb works fine.
corrosive

Post by corrosive »

Jessej,

Can I use USB stick for X8?