Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
plisken_

Re: Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by plisken_ »

anyone know if its possible to switch through the pads using a foot switch? I sort of cant reach over to press the pads most of the time when playing.

Thanks!
da-man

Post by da-man »

do a forum search.

howard s and a few others use a foot controller for RPS changes.
plisken_

Post by plisken_ »

I found howards post on it but it doesnt say how to setup the Fantom X and the Pedal to flip through the pads.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Thanks, da-man. I have posted on this topic a number of times. If you want to triggers patterns from a footswitch you don't assign the patterns to the pads. Instead you assign them to a note on the keyboard. I assign them to notes below and above the 61 notes of my X6 and then have a midi pedalboard trigger those notes for me.

Don't forget to turn the remote keyboard switch to on or else this wont work.
plisken_

Post by plisken_ »

oh ok, what MIDI message do you set the pedal to send to get it to control the keybard? I didn even know i was possible for a MIDI pedal to do that
howardS

Post by howardS »

I just send note on information from my FCB1010.
plisken_

Post by plisken_ »

oh ok cool, I was also reading about the switching patches using the D-Beam. I tried doing it but instead of switching to the sound I tell it in performance mode, it changes the performance to a GM2 performance. I loaded the example and tried it and it worked, but is it only possible to switch once with the D-Beam? just from pad 1 to pad 2?
howardS

Post by howardS »

I think Lazeeboy used 3 pads in his example so to answer your question you can use 3 pads. You can use all 16 if you want.
plisken_

Post by plisken_ »

I download his example and loaded it. It only had the first 2 pads, 1 had modulation on it and the 2nd did not. Did he make another example file? I do want to use all 16 but it would even change to the 2nd pad to begin with when I wrote in the sysexe lines =(
da-man

Post by da-man »

I set up RPS on all 16 pads plus the top and bottom few keys of my x8.
Basically the pads turn sounds on by putting a tick in the RX box. I have my bottom black key set up to turn all RX channels to off. So I can choose any of the 16 pads (sounds) that I want live. I have also set up some white keys as combos (grouped sounds) I keep the RX screen up when I'm using this template because I can see which sounds I have at the moment by looking for the tick in the box.

It took me a while to do but once you understand that using RPS you need to know that you can only get a pad or key to turn on or off, not both together. They can only send one message.

I had another template that had 8 pads to turn on and 8 pads to turn those off. I like having the 16 better.

Anyway it has been a long time since i programmed this stuff but basically if you follow that thread you will find that you can record sys ex messages and then write them down or copy them.

Lazyboy was a genius in my mind because it really meant that the X has live seamless sound switching.

I know you can set it up for mfx switching but I never went that far.

It may seem a bit confusing but if you persever then you will master it for your needs.

Hope this helps. There are a lot of good people on this forum willing to help others.
gazpianoman

Post by gazpianoman »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure something out very similar, only it doesn't involve the pads!

I've just bought a Fantom X8 to go with my 61 key Triton.

I play in a covers band, for which the Fantom is going to be awesome, but when I'm playing in the pit for a theatrical show, I might need up to 150 patches to cycle through (many of which are usually duplicates of previous patches), which on the Korg, I set up in a combi bank and then cycle through the list using a pedal plugged into the switch jack port on the back.

I'm trying to set up my nice new Fantom for my next show now, and I can't figure out how to firstly sort a combination of performances with layers and splits, and single instruments into one place, with enough space for 150 or so elements, and secondly how to cycle through them using some sort of foot controller, as there is no extra 'switch' plug to connect one to. I assume I will have to use MIDI instead (FCB1010?)?

The external controller isn't such a big deal, I can usually free my hand for half a second to flick through (can the dbeam be used for this?), but having a complete show in one single list somewhere would be really really useful!

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Gareth
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Please don't double post stuff. It makes finding things harder in the future.

Your question has been replied to opn the other thread, here.

Cheers
Andy
plisken_

Post by plisken_ »

oh I have completely figured out setting up RPS on pads for patches switching thanks to all the info on the forum, thats not where I am having a problem. The problem is using the D-Beam to switch through them all. I can only get it to switch through to the 2nd pad and thats it. The only reason is switches to the 2nd pad is because the D-Bea m it self is assigned to trigger pad 2.
howardS

Post by howardS »

plisken, check out lazeeboy's post here where he shows how to do it. You need to have RPS pattern no. 2 change D-Beam to 3 as described.
plisken_

Post by plisken_ »

oh thanks man! I dont know how I messed that post >.>