Enable MIDI output from VST plugin

Forum for SonicCell
guylemec

Enable MIDI output from VST plugin

Post by guylemec »

Hi All.
I use the Sonic Cell as my audio/midi interface.
I also use the Sonic Cell VST plugin but I cannot set the Enable MIDI Output on it in SONAR 8.5.2. so of course I can't create audio from my midi sequences (freeze or bounce).
I can only record direct live input from my keyboard.
The Enable option is available in the dialog but it reverts to unchecked every time.
This is really annoying because the sounds in the Sonic Cell are especially good (better than the Cakewalk TTS, anyway).
I have re-installed it but no change...
Any ideas?
Thanks to all.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Enable MIDI output from VST plugin

Post by Artemiy »

The plugin is just a control surface, the actual sound engine is in the SonicCell and it only works in realtime and thus cannot be rendered/freezed in offline fashion like normal plugins which work fully in the realm of your DAW. So yes you have to manualy record each track into an audio track but it's not that hard with USB audio.
guylemec

Post by guylemec »

Hi Artemiy,
When you say "it's not that hard with USB audio" "to manualy record each track into an audio track", can you detail the procedure for me?
Because SONAR exports only audio, the challenge has been how to get the sounds from the SC out of midi into audio for export.
As you say, bounce and freeze don't work.
My current workaround is to record a midi track via the SC Editor VST plugin and then play this track out to my Boss BR-1600CD mixer and back in to an audio track armed to record.
As you can imagine, feedback is always nearby and the levels are critical, but I have manged to record some useable audio.
If you know a better way, please let me know.
It's so tantalising having those sounds (and their variations through the SC Editor VST plugin interface) so close and yet so unattainable.
Thanks in advance. Regards, Guy
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi,

I'm not an expert but as far as I know whatever is coming from the sonic cell can be monitored &/or recorded onto a stereo track, so if for example you have something plugged into the analog i/o's, and a synth part playing, then they will both sound together on the analog i/o's but also be fed back through to the USB "buss".

In this way you can record one at a time or all at once.

Also, there are mastering effects as well, so effectively you can mix & master simultaneously, or adjust it for the monitor mix.

Quite a versatile unit, as you could mix directly into one machine, while sequencing from another.

HTH's
guylemec

Post by guylemec »

Thanks, mystery.
As a audio/midi interface and sound card, the SC works fine.
The problem has always been getting input to it to go through a sound patch into audio.
I have only managed it by routing the monitor signal from the SC headphone socket through my outboard Boss mixer and back into my SONAR DAW (via the SC as interface) onto an armed stereo track (with the inherent risk of feedback looping).
It just seems to me that there should be a more efficient way of going about this.
Any ideas or is there something fundamental I'm missing here?
Thanks to all.