is mac mini enough for DAW

Forum for Apple Mac computers
I AM

Re: is mac mini enough for DAW

Post by I AM »

just found out that it's not so easy to upgrade ram in mac mini.... it's possible, but looks like a rape of this little device... there's also rhumors that new models are on the way... 4 gb of ram is very attractive... i have to think a bit more.....

thanx, Art and dbijoux !!!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

New models on the way? Hmm, the Mini was updated just this fall, so I don't think there will be an update sooner than summer. Add the shipping delay to Europe, and you have a 6-8 month period to wait... Makes no sense to me, think of how much fun you will have instead ;-)

As of upgrades - you can do it in a local service center. Service cost for replacing or upgrading some part is about $20-30, so not that much really. But yes having it all maxed out right away is best, especially when it's not doubling the price of the unit itself. With my iMac it was 512 MB and 160 GB stock, I added $200 to have 2 GB and 250 GB and never regretted that. Later on I upgraded to 500 GB though, but we have a huge family photo/video collection that eats up more than half of all used space...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

These models just arrived (December 2009):

Sorry about the page being in Portuguese, but I think you will understand the specs and the prices ;-)

http://store.apple.com/pt/browse/home/s ... y/mac_mini
I AM

Post by I AM »

Artemiy:
"having it all maxed out right away is best"

that's my decision !!! ))) ... and i'll sell my laptop for extra money, so... 4 gb and 2.53 Ghz

.... and "rhumors about new models" was a fake, just to know if this is true or not )) ... not true and that's good news for my greed ))

special thanx to PauloF for his reply.... he must be busy now...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Glad I was able to help, I AM!
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I AM, did you ever buy the Mac Mini?
I AM

Post by I AM »

not yet, but hope soon i shall
I AM

Post by I AM »

at last i plan to get it in a week or so, but i have one doubt... mac mini was released a year ago and maybe they'll release new model soon? maybe someone has info about it? any rhumors about fresh 2011 macmini?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The latest Mac Mini was introduced 9 months ago, this is not a lot for this model. They do not update it as often as their laptops, for example. I can't tell you anything but in any case this current model is very good.
I AM

Post by I AM »

Art, and what do you think about this?

http://www.cultofmac.com/rumor-sandy-br ... onth/84809
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I AM, if you need a new machine urgently, buy it now, if not, of course you can wait for the newer model. But - it also depends on how quickly the new model will appear in your local dealers, though. For us here in Ukraine, it's usually around 1.5-2 months after the US launch.
I AM

Post by I AM »

the thing is that a friend of mine goes to US in a week or two and could buy it there... not an easy decision... nobody knows for sure about when new model'll be out...

thanks for your help!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I AM, the thing is I doubt that the newer model will be quad-core. Mac Mini was always similar to MacBook 13" and MacBook Pro 13", and these models have dual-core chips even after the latest updates. Only the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro got quad-core chips, and they're in a much different price range.

I'd say, this isn't your last purchase in your life right? Get what you can get right now, by the time the new model is out, you will already have spent a lot of precious time doing great work and having fun in the process.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I AM, please keep this thread updated as I'm on the same boat as you right now (althought I'm not worried with the Mini chipset but more with the lack of money in my pocket ;-))
I AM

Post by I AM »

yeah, sure i'll keep you informed... my friend sould return from US in may and i hope he'll bring me this little mashine... hope it'll be new model... in announce i posted before it is said that new mac mini will have newer CPU and newer is better as core2duo is 2008 (or smth. similar) chip and i5 is 2010...