Replacing Roland keys need help with matching model

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
jin_yeugh

Replacing Roland keys need help with matching model

Post by jin_yeugh »

I am trying to replace a few broken keys and triggers on my EM-303 that I found in a dumpster and am determined to restore. I am having trouble finding keys that are listed as fitting that exact model. I'm hoping some one could help me find other models for which the keys fit or a place I can get EM series parts.

Thanks,

-jin_yeugh
PauloF

Re: Replacing Roland keys need help with matching model

Post by PauloF »

Hi,
Most probably you would find some difficulty replacing the original keys of that board, as they use old mechanic contact technologies, which are difficult to find nowadays, unless you find someone with a broken EM, with good keys, but I wouldn't go that way...

Can I suggest something different ?

If the Synth is ok, and only the keys are failing, why don't you get an external (cheap) MIDI controller like the one I'm showing here. That way you would get the best of a today's synth keyboard and the added value of a MIDI Controller surface that allow you to control other synth's parameters, like Pitch Bend and Modulation (that does not exist on the EM-303), and also will allow you to control other synths at the same time (and solves your problem without the need for the new (old) keys).

Some MIDI Controllers examples:

1- My favorite (Cakewalk, By Roland)
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/hardwa ... d=A-800PRO

2- M-Audio
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/K ... n61es.html

The MIDI Channels recognized by the EM-303, that you can control from the External MIDI Controller, including Splits, Upper, Lower, Accomp, Drums, Bass, and all combinations allowed by the EM-303.
kunnyfx7

Post by kunnyfx7 »

Hi
Can you post a picture of one key? I have several keys from older roland keyboards and maybe I can help you. I'm in California too
jin_yeugh

Post by jin_yeugh »

Thanks for the help guys, I just opened it up (i was scared to before I knew more about it) and it looks like I need only about 3 keys. I appreciate the tip on the controller, but money is really the main issue, though a controller does look fun, I am trying the more cost-effective solution that will end in a working keyboard. here are some pics of the keys, and It would be sweet if I could buy them from you kunnyfx7.
jin_yeugh

Post by jin_yeugh »

d
jin_yeugh

Post by jin_yeugh »

f
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

jin_yeugh wrote:I am trying to replace a few broken keys and triggers on my EM-303 that I found in a dumpster and am determined to restore. I am having trouble finding keys that are listed as fitting that exact model. I'm hoping some one could help me find other models for which the keys fit or a place I can get EM series parts.

Thanks,

-jin_yeugh
Hi! I have EM-303 for parts or repair. It works, but 5 keys not responding. Also chord work intermittent.
anatoli4321@yahoo.com