SonicCell USB connection problems

Forum for SonicCell
TerryG

SonicCell USB connection problems

Post by TerryG »

I'm hoping someone can help as I can't get my SonicCell properly connected using USB. I've tried various computers but will detail just one instance.

Brand new Samsung N130
Windows XP - freshly updated and nothing else installed.
SonicCell version 1.20

I reset the SonicCell to factory defaults, the Device ID is 17. Nothing else is plugged into the SonicCell.

I installed the driver as per the instructions. Version 1.0.0.0 18/06/2007.

Downloaded SonicCell Editor 1.20 (also tried 1.00). Setup the MIDI devices, Input and Output set to Roland SonicCell, Device ID 17.

Try to connect and I see two brief flashes of the USB light on the SonicCell and a message in the editor: unable to read/write data.

I can configure the SonicCell as the Window's MIDI playback device and Window's Media Player will happily use it so the USB appears to be working up to a point.

I've tried 3 different USB cables and two other computers running XP with the same results.

I'm probably missing something obvious and would be very grateful if someone could point it out to me.

Thanks,
Terry.
javaj_

Re: SonicCell USB connection problems

Post by javaj_ »

and what other USB devices do you have running- like a keyboard?- I get the same error when I use my X-station with my SC both running USB. I like the low latency of my X-station so I use that via USB and plug via MIDI into my SC.
TerryG

Post by TerryG »

Thank you for the reply.

I have no other USB devices attached. I've tried changing both SC and editor to use Device ID 18 without change as well.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

check the systems setting- I believe there is a USB/Midi switch setting (can't remember where it is as my SC is put away for now).
TerryG

Post by TerryG »

In the hope of jogging your memory, here are the system settings:

Brightness = 5
Master Level = 127
Master Tune = 440.0
Output Gain = 0
Master Key Shift = 0
Patch Remain = OFF
Sync Mode = MASTER
System Tempo = 120
Tempo Override = ON
Device ID = 17
Performance Control Channel = 16
Patch Mode Receive Channel = 1
USB MIDI Through = OFF
Powerup Mode = PERFORM

I've tried changing the Device ID as per my original message. Also tried changing the USB MIDI Through without luck.

Then there's the System MIDI menu:

Soft Through = OFF
Tx Edit Data = OFF
Various Rx settings, all ON

Does any other this ring any bells?