How to change sound in Soniccell in live situation?

Forum for SonicCell
champy

How to change sound in Soniccell in live situation?

Post by champy »

One thing I find very complicate is how the change the sound in SonicCell. However, I believe there must be an easier and quicker way to change the sound in SonicCell. quicker than going thru browsing the presets.

Let's say... I would like to change 3 soundsas following instantly...
1. Piano + Mallet
2. Brass + Organ
3. Guitar + String Pad...

How do I do it in live-gig-situation? I read thru the manuel... I believe what I want to know is there...But just the langauge and terminology that keep me away from knowing what is actually written there.
avogra

Re: How to change sound in Soniccell in live situation?

Post by avogra »

Hi champy,
i had the same problem. in my opinion, there is no way around some extra gear. there are a whole bunch of tools like foot-controllers, desktop-controllers, keyboards with master-keyboard-features, etc. this usually means a bit of looking into the midi implementation. i first tried a quite old foot-controller (mostly used by guitarists). it worked basically, but as i needed some more features, i built a desktop-unit on my own.
if you have a capable keyboard, that might do the trick as well.

greets, alex
mistletoe

Post by mistletoe »

Use a laptop with the Standalone Editor.

Works great for me but you cannot save settings with a project such as Cubase for example, since the VST Version of the Editor does not work in current versions of the application.

I don't know if there is any sort of compatibility for editor files, ie .sce between the standalone and plug in versions, but it is still more convenient that worry about external controllers and so on IMV.
jkrah

Post by jkrah »

To quickly answer for people that are still looking. I use the SC with an Roland A-33. The patch buttons are programmable. So I programmed them to use my favorite patches on the SC. Next to this, I bought a USB to Midi cable and have my tablet send midi patch changes to the SC.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

If you have an iPad or iphone, there's an excellent app, "iMidiPatchbay", which can store unlimited midi presets including bank/patch change messages. This way you could either call up several individual patches within the same performance or change the performance. As a midi interface, I use iconnectmidi2.
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

In a live situation, I would suggest using a USB memory stick on which you can save various .mid files containing not only the instrumentation settings you require, but also several additional simultaneously played instrumental backing parts (for example piano, drums, organ guitar etc etc) - a complete backing band's worth!

So, you can then play live on the keyboard whichever instrument sounds you wish (which could be a combination of instrumental sounds on the channel being transmitted by the keyboard) and have the backing track you have previously recorded using your Music Digital Audio Workstation software (eg SONAR by Cakewalk Software - originally a Roland company).

Moreover you can set the backing track to automatically change to the sounds you want at any point of the track. Of course to do this means you have to stay in sync with the backing track - but only much as you would have to if playing live with a real backing group!

Hope this helps a bit! (I would add that this really can work and I have done this many times in rehearsal and also successfully several times in front of a live audience, alongside other band members).
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

champy wrote: Let's say... I would like to change 3 soundsas following instantly...
1. Piano + Mallet
2. Brass + Organ
3. Guitar + String Pad...
Imo the best way is to have a controller keyboard that has buttons to change the midichannel and then put those sounds to a performance
- part 1 piano / part 16 mallet -> ch1
- part 2 brass / part 15 organ -> ch2
- part 3 gtr / part 14 strpad -> ch3
This way sound change is smooth and very practical overall - no other stuff required.