Juno stage Faulty Key bed. f above middle c

Forum for JUNO STAGE
xander keys

Juno stage Faulty Key bed. f above middle c

Post by xander keys »

Hello all

I just got it yesterday 19 Nov and the F natural above middle C plays louder than the other keys. Or it did before I phoned my vendor. It was a noticable louder key that when you played it as quiet/gentle/gentley as the rest, it gave you the loud sample at a quieter level so it was still distincly noticeable due to the resonance that comes from a loud piano sample.

I did a factory reset= Nothing.

I moved the octave shift so the offending F key would be playing a lower sampled note and still the same thing. It felt like a cheapo midi issue that you would get with a controller hooked up to a slow pc, just unatural, or some would say too natural compared with the synth action resistance of the other keys and their actions. Its like that one resonant key thats really easy to play that bellows through your old upright piano, in comparrison with the naturally dampened sound of the rest.

So any way the octave shift.

It does it with every F sample on the board. Played on that one F key above middle C octave shifted down or up.

It noticeably did it on the synth sounds aswell. All other keys sounded naturally dampened and compressed in comparrisson with each other. Not a good thing I might add I was hearing a bit of distortion on some of the electric piano, It was through my headphones aswell which are ok.

So thats when I phoned the vendor, who is getting back to me tomoz to either give me my money back or let me know when they are getting more Juno's in. The Stage kind lol.
Phone convo done

I then decided to experiment a little more and after seeing a slight minnescule, tiny, tiny, I mean get your magnifying glass out missalignment of the key. It was a bit raised at the back corner next to the E, I gave it a little shoogle.

It doesnt do it as bad on the other banks' patches now. Having played it to someone else they could not notice the other patches being affected anymore but if I was nitpicking I still could, only slightly. The deeper in to the banks you go, chances are, less samples per key, fine example being the synths. They could however notice it on the piano.

Half an hour has past and a 5 note hannonesque excercise has been played from c-g and the f note still rings out. The chord of Dm has that f ringing out when played. I compared it to C major and the e in the middle of that sandwich sounded fine. These were all octave shifted with my hands remaining above middle c

I then noticed that the d and the e above middle c where starting to show signs of the f's flaws. So more octave shifts where done, plenty of piano banks tested plenty of samples at different frequencys have been played and the same reult.

Will let you know of my outcome once the vendor gets back to me. I am actually sending the synth back with less of a problem then when I phoned. ie it did it with every patch but now it only does it with the piano's I really hope it doesn't magically start working in the morning for it to happen again after my 30 day money back thingy.
Watermelon

Re: Juno stage Faulty Key bed. f above middle c

Post by Watermelon »

I sounds like the velocity sensor on that particular F key is not functionning (the sensor always sends the highest velocity value number whatever the real velocity being played). Best to apply for an exchange, as your Juno-Stage is brand new.
SonnyDaye

More faulty keys

Post by SonnyDaye »

Similar problem, except mine are on the 2nd "G" above middle C and I think also the "G" ABOVE that. Not easy to pack and ship the unit back to the mail-order vendor, so hoping that an OS update will cure it - but it sure sounds like a hardware (rather than software) issue. Are you guys finding any more faulty keys besides the ones already reported? It's a shame that this seems to be such a pervasive issue - always thought that Roland was dependable for quality control. Times change, I guess.
jyjcomp

Post by jyjcomp »

thats my problem also but mine is in Middle C key,
i discover it yesterday, my juno stage is only 4 days,
and the vendor of this is almost 10 hour to travel in my place,

is there any cure for this one that i can do, before il traven to my vendor 10hours, and tell them get me another one(new juno stage)

but it not a joke t travel 10hours and it is expensive,.

hope anyone form roland can help us.
Brentx

Post by Brentx »

JS Users:

I'm happy to announce that I was able to fix the velocity problem just by
opening the JS and cleaning the contacts of the offending keys using a damp
lint-free cloth.(use water only)

I simply took the keybed and individually took the keys off and removed the
rubber contacts, wiped it carefully as well the PCB contacts. Now it's back to
normal.

Whew!The JS reminds me of my old XP-80. I always had problems with it especially
with its keybed. The adhesive under the key weights melt during summer here in
the Philippines. I used to complain about sticky keys and keys not sounding at
all in XP-80. A screw driver was always in my gigbag's pocket when I gig with my
XP-80.

When I switched to Fantom-S, It never occured. However, button problems that
required cleaning contacts also was very annoying and it does frequently in my
Fantom-S so I sold it again and Got this JS. Well I am used to it already so I
can live with it. Aside from that, I am quite satisfied with the JS soundwise.

Goodluck JS users, hope we can share patches (Zero patch site til now) Hope
someone can start a patch site just like tritonheaven for my old triton studio.
Texis

Post by Texis »

Dear Juno Stage Users!

Does this problem appear at the new supplied Stage models too?
I would like to buy it on begining of October!
Whats your oppinion? Does Roland solved this kind of problem?
Is it a typical problem or appeared only at a few users?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I have the same problem with my newly supplied (march 2010) Juno Stage, but I retrieved the serial number and the production date is september 2008! The shop I bought it at appears to have a large stock of these Juno Stages. I contacted Roland Germany about this problem and this was their reply (in German, translation below):

Sehr geehrter Herr,
es hat eine Änderung am Juno-Stage bezüglich der Tastatur gegeben. Die Änderung betreffen alle Juno-Stage, die ab Dezember 2008 produziert wurden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ best regards

ROLAND
Elektronische Musikinstrumente
Handelsgesellschaft mbH

Thomas Jobmann
Customer Support Manager

Translation:
Dear Sir,
There has been a modification on the Juno-Stage regarding the keys. The modification applies to all Juno-Stage manufactured from december 2008.

Best regards, etc.

Clear answer. I also have been contacted by the music store to have it repaired without any cost. The complete PCB with the key contacts will be replaced. Only downside is that I have to miss my Juno Stage for 2 to 3 weeks.
Jazzman001_uk

Post by Jazzman001_uk »

Hi all

I just thought I'd let you know that I've just encountered the same problem with my Juno Stage, the G above middle C died. I really had to hit it to get anything out of it. Today I removed the back and the keybed and cleaned the contacts underneath the grey rubber strip and it now works fine.

I don't know how long it will last but it definitely worked ok for me

Thanks
LogicSong

Post by LogicSong »

Hello

Glad that cleaning contacts has worked for some users here...but,

How do you remove the keybed itself? Do the two ribbon cables attached to the keybed have to be removed as well? Do the individual keys come off? Is it a press back of key and pull out style keybed?

I have been having similar issues with my JS (only few weeks old). Guess that's what I get for buying the floor demo. Wasn't doing that at the store though.

Thanks
Jazzman001_uk

Post by Jazzman001_uk »

Hi LogicSong

What you explained is exactly how it works, I managed to not disconnect the ribbons, there's enough room to fold the keybed back so you can get to it, you will need to remove all the angle brackets and a screw at each end of the keybed to remove it. The keys are as you explained, a push back and release type, but you will have to remove the springs as well.

I only did a section at a time by removing about 1 octave, then I lifted the grey contact cover strip and cleaned the contacts with Isopropyl alcohol cleaner and some lint free cleaning pads.

Obviously putting it back together is just the reverse, but make sure the grey contact rubber strip is fully seated (it has small pegs that go into the PCB) otherwise you're asking for trouble. I also noticed there's a date stamp on the inside of the case, mine was one of the early ones.

Hope this helps
LogicSong

Post by LogicSong »

Thank you for your help, Jazzman001_uk

I am going to try the procedure. Do you unscrew the the angle brackets from the top (casing, 1 screw) ) or bottom (keybed, 2 screws)?

My issue is that with very little velocity, the problem keys register like they are being hit with a sledge hammer at full velocity! Not playable or musical at all.

Thanks
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

so the juno-g had faulty LCDs and this one has faulty kebeds... I'm starting to wonder what happened to Roland instruments in the latest years and if they're still worth the money.
banzai142001

Post by banzai142001 »

I recently picked up a new Juno Stage and a few of the keys were louder than the others. I took it to a Roland service center and they replaced the keybed assembly and it works fine now. I believe the warranty is only good for 90 days, so don't procrastinate too long if you notice a problem.
SonnyDaye

Post by SonnyDaye »

I'm starting to wonder what happened to Roland instruments in the latest years and if they're still worth the money.
NO they're not! They're coasting on their OLD reputation. Don't know how long they can get away with that.
They shipped multitudes of Juno-Stages with faulty keybeds but never had a recall.
I'm one of the many victims. Are you wondering why they only give a 90 day warranty? Ya think they KNOW something?
Sad...very sad.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

90 day warranty? That's a joke. Isn't there a law that reinforces a certain warranty term for a specific product type, regardless of what manufacturer says?