LCD screens for XP series and other parts

Other Roland synthesizers, modules, keyboards, etc.
Stealth

LCD screens for XP series and other parts

Post by Stealth »

Hello,

I am considering re-buying an XP-80 or buying XP-30. They are already old and one should think about possible repairs. I have look at at least 10 websites, and although they have parts for different Roland models, none of them had a single part for XP.

Where do you buy parts?

I am specially interested in LCD screens for XP-80 or XP-30. Are they serviceable? Or is it a bye-bye?

Where do you buy switches for worn buttons, FDD's, potentiometers, joysticks?
PugUgly

Re: LCD screens for XP series and other parts

Post by PugUgly »

Hi - this is a bit of conjecture, but may be helpful.

It would appear that the XP's use an early form of what is now a standard 16x2 LCD display. I just ordered one on ebay - $2.99 shipped - and the modern ones all have backlights.

I've seen on the internet that others have replaced the LCDs with modern units. Since it would be unrealistic to hack the Roland OS and write it for a different display, I would assume they are compatible parts. Looking at a XP-10 schematics, it sure looks like the standard 14-pin interface to a LCD display.

The only sticking points are the cabling, and the physical mounting. The actual display portion is the same physical size - I have my XP-10 display out and a few generic modules laying around here to compare.

So, in theory, with the right cable and a way to mount it, you can get a superior display for under $3.
gospelone

Post by gospelone »

Do you have a brand or model number for the LCD? Also I believe Roland still has the buttons and the button switches
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Yes, for XP-60 Roland part number is: 15029559
It is LCD Display, made by Sharp under codename LCM32080YGV
Sharp does not have it anymore in it's inventory, it's not even mentioned on their website. Actually, I spent quite a few hours on the internet plus making contacts and getting replies to boldly assume that there is not a single replacement unit on the whole planet, and in the whole universe in inventory anywhere. This really makes me dissatisfied as a Roland customer because, other series, even some from 80's are well covered for diplay replacements.

As far as XP-30 is concerned it is a different model of display than fore mentioned XP-10, because XP-30 has 40x2 Display, while XP-10 has 16x2 display.
ammasgold

Post by ammasgold »

Hi
I also have a Roland XP-80 and I'm trying to get the display replaced. If anyone has any suggestions or knows about any new developments where I could find one, please let me know.

My XP-80 is also not reading the two Expansion Cards I have installed (Asia Card & Orchestral Card.) Does anyone know why that's happening? Any advice about how to repair it?

Thanks,
Gold
silktheshock

Post by silktheshock »

Anybody having issues with roland xp10 screen. Just order a "roland mc505" screen from ebay which is high end lcd screen with attached ribbon. So basically its a plug and play. The only modification would be to glue the screen on which is very very easy. Ill send pics. Its basically a phenominal screen trust me. I paid like 40 bucks for it. Any questions please email me at shellz0071833@gmail.com. The screen also comes in a variety of colors and trust me you'll really like it.
Attachments
1361219983916.jpg
1361219983916.jpg (316.16 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
1361219954354.jpg
1361219954354.jpg (191.65 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
1361220114823.jpg
1361220114823.jpg (327.58 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
2013-02-18 17.23.15.jpg
2013-02-18 17.23.15.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 9274 times
2013-02-18 17.23.57.jpg
2013-02-18 17.23.57.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 9274 times
waltershisho

Post by waltershisho »

Hello!
Just logged on to the site.
I did as silktheshock suggested for my XP10, bought the display for the 505, and just installed it. The light comes on, but I get no display. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

-Walter
TaylorJackson

Post by TaylorJackson »

Stealth wrote:Hello,

I am considering re-buying an XP-80 or buying XP-30. They are already old and one should think about possible repairs. I have look at at least 10 websites, and although they have parts for different Roland models, none of them had a single part for XP.

Where do you buy parts?

I am specially interested in
led light for XP-80 or XP-30. Are they serviceable? Or is it a bye-bye?

Where do you buy switches for worn buttons, FDD's, potentiometers, joysticks?
Hello friend I am searching for affordable and good quality led screens manufacturers.. I do have big order so can you provide some useful information
Jamaicanforlife

Post by Jamaicanforlife »

Hi I was the one that did the screen replacement for silk, it's been about 4 years now lol and I even forgot that I repaired it. I went back and checked my emails to see if I could find the vendor on ebay but I was unable to find a email or receipt. I went back to ebay and the only vendor I saw that I know would have gotten My attention was glitchscience. And he has the MC-505 screens in different colors. The only thing I don't remember was how I aligned the pins on the ribbon cable because the xp10 is a 14 pin and the MC-505 is a 16 pin. If I should guess correctly, if I had used the existing xp10 ribbon cable I would have shifted the cable to one side either extreme left or right on the LCD screen panel, or if I had to use the new cable that came with the panel I would have either bent or peeled two of the end connectors on it and shifted it to the correct side or Center the cable on the LCD panel to where there is a pin slot open on the left and open on the right. Also on the back of the LCD panel each pin has an labled acronym that gives you short detail of what that pain does so it would eather have ground, neutral or maybe 12 volt and 9 volt so it will explain or give you some type of datail printrc on the board of what each pin does. it's been so long everything has faded in my memory and the only way for me to truly tell is I would have to get that XP 10 and open it to verify the correct information but if you try this you should figure it out even by trial and error and don't have to worry about damaging anything because the circuit is low voltage/ amperage so you won't damage anything.