Muting output to speakers while recording

Forum for SonicCell
Naxos

Muting output to speakers while recording

Post by Naxos »

I'm using a SonicCell as an audio interface and sound module with a Macbook and Garageband. Is there a way to mute the output to the speakers while using headphones during recording? All I can figure out is to either unplug and plug in the speaker cables or turn the speakers power off and on.

Jim
PauloF

Re: Muting output to speakers while recording

Post by PauloF »

Naxos wrote:I'm using a SonicCell as an audio interface and sound module with a Macbook and Garageband. Is there a way to mute the output to the speakers while using headphones during recording? All I can figure out is to either unplug and plug in the speaker cables or turn the speakers power off and on.

Jim
Jim,
Unfortunately there is no way to MUTE the L and R OUTPUTs without muting the whole SC, and the reason is that the Phones Output jack outputs the sound received at the INPUT jack mixed with the sound from the USB connected computer and the sound of the SonicCell itself.

The only way is to disconnect the speakers or the Cables.

In my particular case I'm using a MIXER between the synths and the Audio Capture Interface (the FA-101), so I can control the synth's volume and tweak the EQ before the sound is output.
Yes, but that's me...
rcraven

Re: Muting output to speakers while recording

Post by rcraven »

Hi Jim
I bought a little plastic box, a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch, audio co-ax wire, 2 plugs and 2 sockets and soldered up a simple switch that I velcroed to be within easy reach.

o o--------< SC
./
.o-----------> Amp

(2 of the above- one for Left the other for Right)
Join the shield of the input and output coax wire.

SC (L) >----------------o o---------------< SC (R)
Amp (L) <--------------o o---------------> Amp (R)
Input coax shield ---- o--o--- Output Shield of the co-axial wire

------------------------Switch

All the best

Royce