Turning off PCM sound generator?

Forum for SH-01 GAIA
vxfan

Turning off PCM sound generator?

Post by vxfan »

Hey,
I am trying to integrate the Gaia into my midi setup but cannot figure out if you can turn off the PCM sound module so the sequencer does not trigger the PCM sounds on those channels that my other synths use. I have not seen it in the manual yet. Any ideas?
Thanks!
RonF

Re: Turning off PCM sound generator?

Post by RonF »

I'm having the exact same question/problem. Is there a solution? Surely there must be a way to defeat the PCM sounds on channels you do not wish to use them for?????????
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

I don't have the Gaia, but I checked out the MIDI implementation (to download click here). This is from page 3.

To set "GM System Off," send the following MIDI System Exclusive Message:

F0 7E 7F 09 02 F7

Hope this is what you were looking for.
vxfan

Post by vxfan »

Thanks,
I was hoping there was a shift function via the Gaia's panel.
skuppy

Post by skuppy »

Hey guys

I didnt have successl executing this sysex message
has anyone else been able to disable the GM sounds using this sysex msg?

I just used midi-ox with the SH-01 as output and used the command window to send the sysex msg.......did I miss something ?

thanks
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

According to the MIDI Implementation Chart (page 61 of the Owner's Manual), reception of System Exclusive Messages can be turned on or off. Maybe they are turned off by default?

As a test, you could send a different System Exclusive Message. However, I don't see anything in the manual telling you how to turn System Exclusive on/off, so testing might be pointless.

Perhaps one of you guys with a Gaia should call Roland tech support, and share the response from them.
skuppy

Post by skuppy »

yea you might be right Junojohn
let me have a muck around with this one
mchacotay

Post by mchacotay »

I also tried turning off GM sounds with the REMOTE KEYBOARD = off and also the SysEx message JunoJohn posted (I even double checked with the midi implementation chart :)). Those crappy sounds are still pouring out. Have anyone been successful at this?
Frank6502

Post by Frank6502 »

try send string + cheksum

without checksum roland doesnt acept sysex.
excalibas

Post by excalibas »

I have the same problem and it is very strange because if I send a Roland Exclusive message like this:

F0 41 10 00 00 41 12 10 00 01 00 06 69 F7

I successfully set the OSC Wave of Temporary Patch to SUPER-SAW like the example on page 20 of the MIDI implementation.

With Universal Realtime System Exclusive Messages it also works, I can change the master volume with:

F0H 7FH, 7FH, 04H, 01H, llH, mmH F7H (page 4)

But the Universal Non-realtime System Exclusive Messages don't work for me.

I lost a hole day with this and it is specially frustration because it didn't work.

Anyone had success turning that dam piano sound off?
Grauw

Post by Grauw »

You can’t turn it off. All the ‘GM System Off’ messages do is a MIDI reset of the channel settings. Play a note and then send it, you’ll hear it gets stopped.

From what I understand these GM system messages are sent at the beginning of MIDI files to ensure all settings are on their defaults.
excalibas

Post by excalibas »

So is not possible to turn them off?

This makes the Gaia useless in any midi chain :|

I wonder what went thru Roland peoples minds when they did this, I just bought mine to play live and I have lots of problems because of this.

Anyways thanks for the explanation Grauw at least I know its not something I am doing wrong.
Grauw

Post by Grauw »

You might consider this little device, or its bigger brother: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

It costs a bit but it should be able to filter out channels, reassign CC numbers, transform sysex messages to CC messages, etc.
Atlas5

Post by Atlas5 »

What sequencer are you using? When I use my midi router/switcher everything works fine. Can you have a different MIDI cable configuration? What other keyboards are you using?

I don't even connect the SH-01 MIDI when playing live, as I simply play the thing.
vxfan

Post by vxfan »

The easiest solution when using the Gaia with a computer based DAW is to send a seperate USB cable to it and have it dedicated as its own MIDI interface. Not a big deal. Most of my newer synths are routed this way.