Horizon Virtual Analog Synth

Forum for Apple iOS devices
EJ2

Horizon Virtual Analog Synth

Post by EJ2 »

This one is really great sounding virtual analog synth indeed. I highly recommend this app.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/horizon- ... 63267?mt=8
Rodan

Re: Horizon Virtual Analog Synth

Post by Rodan »

EJ2, don't do this to me. Don't you know I can't resist any music app that's under $10!
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Get it Rodan! Do not resist! This is one sweet synth app! =)
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Resistance is futile! LOL. But, I know what you mean. Man, for under $5, this is unbelievable. So many apps that can be had for a song (nothing over $50). When the Alesis iDock Pro (http://www.alesis.com/iodock) is released, my iPad 2 is going to be an essential part of my studio. For under $700 (iPad 2 + apps), I'll have a full blown workstation packed with a shit load of synth engines, DAWs, rhythm composers, samplers, vocal processors etc. And the audio quality is not too shabby at that. There are more expensive pieces of gear and software with poorer fidelity. The other day, I had Omnisphere open on my iMac. Omni TR on my iPad 2 recognized it instantly. Set it in motion and...talk about wave sequencing a la Spectrasonics; and, Bob's your uncle. Apple has opened a new direction for music production.

As I have said before, those who think the iPad is nothing but a toy have missed the boat.

Cheers,
Jim (EJ2)
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

It's like this irresistible force sweeping down from the north. I cannot resist. Must...get...more...apps.
Barely

Post by Barely »

It's really one of the best virtual synths on the iPad, at least soundwise.
It tends to alias like all the virtuals, but it's capped at A-6 anyway.
Does anybody out there have the Horizon AND a JP-8000?
I'd be interested how close (or far away) the sound is from the original :)
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

Is this kind like the iMS-20?? Or is it different? Worse or better??

I'm new to the iPad (got mine last week as a gift) and I have the MorphWiz and the iMS-20... I'm still learning to use those programs and I'd like to know about this one too.

Thanks!
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

They are similar. Horizon is simpler, however. It has no drum machine and fewer knobs. However, you might prefer the cleaner interface with larger controls that are easier to manipulate. I find the controls on iMS-20 hard to set. Also, Horizon has quite a few good sounding presets that have you tapping out music quickly. I have only had it for a couple of days after being forced to get it by incredible peer pressure (see above).

By the way, you also have iSyn Poly to consider. It also has smoother controls than iMS-20 and has a drum machine and sequencer. Of course, it also costs twice as much as Horizon. But for the price of a couple of beers, you can get both. Hmm...DOES BEERS or DOES SYNTHS...not an easy choice.
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

Since I don't do beers I think I'll do synths! =D
Thank you for the info, I'll try to see more about it.
The problem to manipulate iMS-20 is that it doesn't have a manual for the patch panel part... I saw some great vids on YouTube with the old MS-20 that explain it very well. Just haven't had time to mess with it. Studying for some final tests!

Thanks!
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

That's exactly my problem with iMS-20. I haven't make the time to try to track down how to use the right side and the few times that I have tried to just experiment with it, I got lost. Good luck with your tests!
jt327gir

Post by jt327gir »

The Horizon (now re-named "Sunrizer") is AWESOME! I also love the NLog synth app.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Any idea what has changed? Why the name change?
Barely

Post by Barely »

Rodan wrote:Any idea what has changed? Why the name change?
As far as I know, there is already a VST plugin that goes by the same name. Nothing else has changed.