Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Beantown

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Post by Beantown »

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do? Being that you use Pro Tools every day. I'm curious...

I really don't have much experience with Logic. Pro Tools was the first music production software I learned, followed by Digital Performer. But I'm most comfortable with Pro Tools. Although very interested in getting to know Logic. From what I've seen and read, its a top knotch program.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

No problem with your question! I do audio post production mainly for TV, so I mix shows and also tracklay sound FX on some drama/film type jobs I do. Pro Tools is the industry standard. For writing music I've always preferred dedicated sequencers like Logic, I've used Notator, Vision and Logic for that. Pro Tools is a bit too simple in MIDI for my needs. Audio recording wise Pro Tools is brilliant. Logic is great program IMHO, it's complex though and will take time to learn, but it's worth it and Apple have done a great job of streamlining it in the last few years. Logic Studio is incredible value for money.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

That sounds like a really Awesome gig! Audio post production is something I've actually considered pursuing as a career. Its so facinating how sound enhances the mood and overall experience of video. In many ways, it sets the tone for a given scene even more so than the visual component itself. I'd love to check out some examples of your work.

I often hear that Logic is far superior to Pro Tools with regard to MIDI. For the most part I haven't really explored this aspect of the program. But it did seem that Digital Performer had more extensive MIDI capabilities than Pro Tools.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Beantown, on the other hand, yours truly doesn't use MIDI in his music productions at all :-) I like the fact that I can keep everything in one project file, and not depend on any hardware.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Artemiy, that's a pretty handy tip. Especially if you're going to work in multiple settings, or on different systems. Its much more convenient to have all your audio files in one place. The only drawback would be the amount of space used to saved audio as opposed to MIDI.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

@ beantown: yep it's a great job! Can be very rewarding.

Yep Logic is basically a MIDI sequencer which has gained a sophisticated audio side, so now both are very powerful, whereas Pro Tools is basically a great audio recorder/mixing desk, though the MIDI side was beefed up seriously in version 8, but I'm too far down the road with logic now. The good thing about Logic is that it's built for writing music and I like that. I should clarify my comment about Logics MIDI capabilities, I'm talking the way it handles not only your studio with external MIDI hardware, but also internally with MIDI data (all sequencers are basically MIDI editors) which applies to softsynths etc as well. The scope of MIDI processing available in Logic is mindblowing, from is non-destructive editing (because all the sequenced pharses are object orientated) through to complex environments which allow you to make all sorts of thing from simple arpegiators though to full on drum machines, analogue style sequencers, MIDI programmers for your hardware, etc. You can also work as Art prefers in one project file, no external hardware and yet setup a full virtual studio always ready to go. I have worked like this for years and probably 80% of my productions in the last 8 years have been software only. It's up to the end user. I run it all on a MacBook Pro, and use Mainstage live right now. Logic is setup brilliantly to be software only. The only thing I don't like are the crappy MIDI controllers on the market, which is not Logics fault. I could write a book on what you could do with Logic and many have and still not covered it all!

Have a look here for some ideas on what it can do and whether that suits you.

http://www.soundonsound.com/logic
http://www.logic-users-group.com/
http://www.logicprohelp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... nment&aq=0

If you don't get a version of Logic straight away definitely try Garageband, as it basically is Logic soundwise with a much simpler front end (if you get Logic later you can open a GB project in Logic) and see how you like it. EDIT: and it's comes for free on every new Mac as part of iLife

At any rate whatever software you choose, I reckon you'll LOVE your macbook pro and wonder how you ever got by without it!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

According to AppleInsider, new MacBook Pros will come in first half of 2011 but there are no signs of a major redesign (as in MacBook Air):
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/12/15/redesigne...

This means that you probably shouldn't wait, as you may end up waiting several months.

Beantown, also, each of my projects is usually not more than 40-50 MB in size. That's not much really. I use 24 bit 44.1 kHz audio though.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Rumor has it the new Macbook Pro has already begun to ship to distributors, with a tentative release date of THIS thursday Feb 24th. I'm not sure how reliable this information is, but the 2011 update is so close I can smell it!
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

Now. And Later.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Really glad I waited for the new system update. The low end 15" MBP has benchmarks that blow last years model out of the water! Plus the Intel Quad Core I7, way cheaper than last years I7 Dual Core. Not sure I will ever need to the Thunderbolt technology. But I guess it'll be cool to have just in case. All things considered, I am a happy camper!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/25/new ... provement/
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes the new quad-core MPB is absolutely mental. Could you imagine a few years ago you would have a Mac Pro performance in a laptop?

Can't wait till they squeeze this into an iMac. That will be my next machine.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

A few years ago this was unheard of. At least by the general public. The only drawback with the new MBP is the shortened battery life. From what I hear last years model could hold a charge for up to 10 hours. Thats down to 7 hours now. A 30 percent decrease in battery power. I guess thats the price you pay for the added performance.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I am not sure, I think the MBPs were all rated 7 hours, not 10. iPad is the one rated at 10 hours. But I may be mistaking, need to look at Apple's specs.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Been using the new MBP for about 6 months now, and I must say it was a good investment. The unibody design is solid, the keys and trackpad are really nice. This is how a laptop should feel. I'm loving the performance, the programs, mouse pad gestures and ease of use. Everything is really intuitive. Didn't even have to load the drivers for my Midi controllers as they have already been preinstalled. Its so many little things that I can't even explain in detail. But all in all, this laptop is top notch. I'm very pleased.

Next up: Logic and Duet 2
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Nice to hear you're happy, Beantown!

I am planning to upgrade soon too, will go for one of the 21.5" iMacs probably.