Problem of my Roland D-20

Forum for D-50/550 and other D and U synthesizers from 1980-1990's
inyamateru

Problem of my Roland D-20

Post by inyamateru »

guts who can help me about this??

i have roland d-20, I love this although it is outdated.. i love the sound, but every time i turn off the unit, all of my edited patch and tones gone, all of them are reset..

can someone help me??
i don't have any ram card because there's no available ram card here.. please help me..

thanks!!
Sprockett

Re: Problem of my Roland D-20

Post by Sprockett »

It sounds like your backup battery is dead. I don't think I've ever seen a D-20, but I have seen a couple of D-10's and I've been told that they are similar inside. Here's a pic of the inside of a D-10 I found online with the arrow pointing to the battery.

http://ericschreiber.com/wp-content/upl ... nnards.jpg

You would have to open your synth, locate the battery (should look the same as pic if it isn't in the same spot) and replace it with a fresh CR-2032 cell. Cool thing about the D series stuff is they have battery clips, so it`s easy to pop the old one out and replace it with a new one.
inyamateru

Post by inyamateru »

wow!! thank you for your time and effort to answer my problem.. it's sounds like i don't know my keyboard well because i don't know that there's a battery inside of it.. well thanks again! thank you for sharing it to me..
inyamateru

Post by inyamateru »

hmm.. wait if i open my stuff and change the cell, is there any possibilities that the internal tones may damage??
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

I don't know exactly how your synth will react. On a D-10 I changed the battery on the factory patches were fine after the change. Anything in user memory was wiped out, but you are already experiencing that. If your battery is dead, then I would have to guess that any damage has already been done.

If you change the battery and the factory patches are wiped out, you can do a factory reset by holding the TONE/FUNCTION and WRITE buttons down and powering on the synth (from a synth reset website http://www.dlse.nl/synthrepair/reset.html ) That will get the sounds/settings back to like when it was new.

Of course, diagnosis over the web is never perfectly accurate, and I can only guess from your information what the problem is. There is always at least a small risk factor in doing your own repairs.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
inyamateru

Post by inyamateru »

...wow!! my synth now is working well, as you've told me, i changed the battery inside and it work.
now i can enjoy saving patches and tones i prefer..

nice!! thanks for sharing your knowledge to..
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

No trouble, inyamateru. Glad to hear it worked out.