SH32 An analog treasure

Forum for SH-1, SH-2, SH-09, SH-101 and other SH synthesizers from 1970-1980's
Studio5397

SH32 An analog treasure

Post by Studio5397 »

I record extensively and have some of the best soft synths out there. I also have the Roland Fantom and RD700SX sounds along with my Triton Rack and Motif ES. However, when I want a synth to POP in the track, I go to my SH32. Something about the sonic architecture make this thing sound smooth and defined in the mix.
pocklefo

Re: SH32 An analog treasure

Post by pocklefo »

I agree, a very underrated little synth that seems to have a unique sound of it's own.
I'd like to compare it to the JP-8000 some day to see if the modeled oscillators make that much difference , considering the extra S/H price.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

You do realise the SH-32 isn't analogue, right?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I love mine. It's one of my favourite synths.
Venn Diagram

Post by Venn Diagram »

Sure we know it isn't Analog.
It still does superb strings, pads, effects and the like with plenty of character.
I am impressed by how well it complements my Elektron gear (especially the Analog Four and the Monomachine) and sounds nothing like the VA in the Integra-7.
It has a certain grit and warmth but I am more partial to the 12db per octave filter than the 24db filter slope for some strange reason.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

I remember getting mine when it launched, in red, white and blue colors, not long after the 9/11 attacks.

Felt sorry for Roland, as no-one was inspired by anything for awhile after that.

I thought it was an amazing synth, including great fx, and a really punchy sound. There was a lot of whingeing at the time about it not being analogue, or even physically modeled like the JP-8000, notable because of limitations typical of digital waveforms. The "WASG" mysterious marketing (this is one area in the west where Roland has been horrible for a long time) didn't help.

None of it mattered to me then, nor does it now; it is indeed a treasure. Analogue, digital, honestly, who cares any more? :)