JP8000 newbie has several silly questions

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
Somatosis

JP8000 newbie has several silly questions

Post by Somatosis »

Hi Clan,

I'm seeking your help to inform what is most probably a very simple rig decision but which requires knowledge my very inexperienced brain is sorely missing. So apologies in advance for making anyone's eyes roll on reading this....

My current setup is:

* VK-7 (spot on for organ)
* JP-8000 (great for effects)

Target is:

* Without having to lug around any more 'keys', gain access to some 'real' EP, Rhodes and Clav sounds.

Solution??:

* Well where I'm hoping to land is to use the JP to play back sounds from an external sound module like an XV3080 using the SRX-12 expansion. I must admit I really haven't managed to fully understand the JP manual yet. The section entitled 'selecting sounds on an external MIDI sound source' seems to answer q1 below but I really want to be sure I'm not overlooking something...

So, my questions are:

1) Will this work (and how, if not just RTFM on p93, would I do it)?
2) What limitations would I be facing?
3) Would something else work better?
4) Can/How would I record patterns into the sequencer from the sound module and save them as a performance

Any help you kind folk could offer greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Hanon_CTS

Re: JP8000 newbie has several silly questions

Post by Hanon_CTS »

Somatosis wrote: So, my questions are:

1) Will this work (and how, if not just RTFM on p93, would I do it)?
2) What limitations would I be facing?
3) Would something else work better?
4) Can/How would I record patterns into the sequencer from the sound module and save them as a performance
Hello Somatosis,
Congratulations on having a couple great pieces of gear.
This will all work as you intend.

My answers as follows:
1. Yes, it will work by taking the MIDI out of the JP8K to the MIDI in of the tone module then matching the appropriate settings (MIDI channels, enable program change....etc.)
2. I would think that the 4 octave non-hammer action keyboard would be a handicap for playing EPianos, but not for Clavs. In the recording process, if you need more keys, you could always use the VK-7
3. Something else could always work better, (what's your $$$ budget?)
4. Are we talking hardware, or software (PC/Mac/Linux) sequencer?

As with most sequencing/ MIDI recording, it's a matter of getting the note data and all associated information recorded in the sequencer from the MIDI controller. The sound is really secondary to the recording process.

The XV-3080 is a good choice of tone module, but I believe a better choice would be the XV5050 or XV-2020 as these have a built in USB MIDI interface and would make sequence recording much easier, and still accept the SRX expansions.

Cheers, Hanon
Somatosis

Re: JP8000 newbie has several silly questions

Post by Somatosis »

G'day Hanon,

Many thanks for the fast reply and sorry for hang time on responding!

Great news, thanks for confirming setup. Yeah I had wondered about the action, far from ideal. Maybe I will get a controller one day but for now this compromise will have to suffice. And yes, if required the VK could ease the pain.

RE budget and alternatives, hmm , i had neglected to give you any info there. Budget is a big issue so I suspect toe in the water via this method is going to be the right way to go at the moment.

Thanks for the tip on 5050, I usually focus only on quality hence the 128 bit and using JV expansion was first choice. But on second thoughts, just getting the thing to work with flexibility on recording options is going to trump that this time.

Unfortunately I can't provide a sensible response to item 4 as I don't really understand the whole sequencing world well enough. Thanks so much for the extra info! I will try and piece that world together and hopefully come back with some thoughts once the tones are sorted.

Again really appreciate your help!

Cheers